Engine firewall? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Engine firewall?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 08-12-2002, 07:58 PM   #1
GPTH1NG
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Engine firewall?

I just noticed that the under-hood of my '01 doesn't have any firewalling on it. I know that the older Jeeps did (I've seen it on several '89 - '92's) and was wondering - is there a good reason for this? I'm going to buy some, I just don't want to cause other problems.

[color=orange]ORANGE[/color] Jeep Club Member #3
--------------------
04 Wrangler X
[/b][/size]
GPTH1NG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2002, 10:43 PM   #2
arpy

Um, the firewall is the sheetmetal separating the engine and passenger compartments. I guess you are talking about some kind of insulation? There is none on my 88.
arpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2002, 01:55 PM   #3
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

hood insulation

Theres no hood insulation on my 2000 and I prefer that its not there. It'll make it that much easier when I install hood vents. Why do you want to buy it? It may make the engine run hotter, and if you have any problems, it could void your warranty.

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2002, 02:03 PM   #4
GPTH1NG
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Well, I've seen some older vehicles without it, and their hoods are all faded (from engine heat, I assume, since it doesn't affect the rest of the vehicle.) I plan on keeping mine for as long as possible, and I'd rather not have that happen.
[color=orange]ORANGE[/color] Jeep Club Member #3
--------------------
04 Wrangler X
[/b][/size]
GPTH1NG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2002, 03:25 PM   #5
glenzx

3 reasons paint is faded/peeled:
1) front end repair and subsequently poor paint job - seen that a million times...
2) rarely (if ever) washed & waxed...check the roof when you do see a hood all faded, typically all the flat surfaces will be faded as well (especially here in the southwest!)
3) engine fire! in which case that dang insulation isn't gonna help.

Incidentally, that insulation on the firewall and the hood in some cars is strictly for noise protection, not any kind of heat, and, as Eric mentioned, will only INCREASE the engine compartment temperature, which is not good unless its in Alaska...
glenzx is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.