engine cuts out for a second on highway - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > engine cuts out for a second on highway

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
gregamuffin
1994 XJ Cherokee 

engine cuts out for a second on highway

Hey guys I haven't been on here in forever because I haven't had much trouble until the other day. jeep is a 98 cherokee, 4.0, 5 speed. it's got about 206k on it but had been running great for me! recently on a trip from Buffalo to Cleveland it developed an odd behavior on the highway. I had cruise set at about 73 and the whole truck jolted for a split second and then continued on. I didn't even really slow down. at first i thought it was a cruise control issue but it started doing it whether cruise was on or not. It doesn't happen around town at all and it would go away for a while if i stomped on the gas and then reset the cruise or held it at a steady speed. but nevertheless it would come back and just jolt for a second. not even long enough to see where the RPM's dip too. i pulled my codes and have a p0138 and a p0141 which i understand are o2 codes. not sure if this could be my problem or not. sorry for the long post just looking to give as much info as possible. I've made this trip plenty of times and never experienced this. need to make the trip in two weeks again so would like to have this figured out

gregamuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Are all your tune-up parts fresh ? Tested the battery recently ? How old are the: 1) O2 sensors, 2) the Crankshaft Position Sensor, 3) the Coolant Temperature Sensor ?

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
gregamuffin
1994 XJ Cherokee 

fresh plugs and wires, i suppose i should check the battery connections, i know the battery is good. i had replaced one of the o2 sensors this summer because i have the p0138 code and it fixed it for about a day and has since come back. Coolant temp sensor is new as well.
Unread 10-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

That just about covers all the usual suspect except for the Crankshaft Position Sensor.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

Unread 10-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
gregamuffin
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I'll look into picking one up and changing it in the next few days then. Generally an easy sensor to replace? also why is this actually causing the problem? Just interested in what's going wrong here.
Unread 10-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The CPS is a likely suspect for the symptoms described. CPS service life is about 100-150,000 miles. The CPS can be tested, but may or may not test faulty. The short explanation is that the CPS helps to tell the engine computer when to run the injectors and when to fire the spark plugs. No CPS signal means the computer does nothing and the engine doesn't run for a moment.

If you buy a new CPS, get a genuine Jeep CPS, or the premium one from NAPA.C heap crappy “Lifetime Warranty” parts are often out of specification or even failed right out of the box. They usually also have a shorter service life than better quality parts. Buy good quality repair parts and genuine Jeep sensors for best results.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.