Engine cranks and hesitates before turning over - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Engine cranks and hesitates before turning over

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 04-07-2005, 03:33 AM   #1
KZOO

Engine cranks and hesitates before turning over

Hello-

I was wondering if someone can help me out with a problem I've been experiencing for the last 4 months. I have a 2001 Cherokee Sport - 4.0 liter I6- auto trans-85,000mi.

When the engine is cold, there is a noticable lag/delay in time from when I turn the key before the engine turns over (approx 10 sec)

Once the engine does start. It runs just fine. If I shut the engine off and restart within approx 30min, it starts immediately and runs fine.

The way in which I'm addressing the problem is when the engine is cold, I'll turn the key to the run position-wait 10 sec-then crank the engine. It will start up immediately.

Why exactly is this working? By putting the key in the run position and waiting 10 sec-Is the fuel system being pressurized?

If so, do I need to replace the fuel pump?

Thanks

KZOO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2005, 04:29 AM   #2
JoBo

Try wiggiling the the gear shift. If that helps then it's most likely the NSS. They are expensive but can be cleaned. Look in the sticky for instructions.

JoBo
JoBo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2005, 10:06 AM   #3
XJH-007

10 SEC!?!?!?

Never......ever heard of that...........unless you have a Diesel.

I can't even think of anything that would cause that..........it's not like anything has to charge prior to ignition, or any timers of any sort.........

You dun befubble me.........

Maybe there's some Relay that's messed up....do you have an alarm with ignition kill??
Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2005, 10:13 AM   #4
XJ-NoDough

Mine does the same thing, only it feels more like its taking 10 min, while all my friends are watching me cranking. There is another thread on here addressing the problem, something about installing a fuel check valve. Because the pump is letting the fuel run back down hill/ out of the fuel line when it's been off for a while.
Leather, Loaded[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]4L Selec-trac[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=White][B]Automatic[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]3"-4.5"ish Homebrew lift[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=White][B]16x8 MB Motoring Rockers[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]265/75R16(31[SIZE="1"]ish[/SIZE]"X10.4") Goodyear Wrangler M/TRs[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=White][B]Trimmed w/ Bushwackers[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]Stock 3:55 gears[/B][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[B][COLOR=White]sans big audio[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=Red]Homebrew intake w/cone filter[/COLOR][/B]
"Some people are like a slinky... Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs." :my dad
XJ-NoDough is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2005, 10:24 AM   #5
XJH-007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeps_r_fun
Mine does the same thing, only it feels more like its taking 10 min, while all my friends are watching me cranking. There is another thread on here addressing the problem, something about installing a fuel check valve. Because the pump is letting the fuel run back down hill/ out of the fuel line when it's been off for a while.

Sounded to me like it won't even crank over???
"When the engine is cold, there is a noticable lag/delay in time from when I turn the key before the engine turns over (approx 10 sec)"

If during this 10 sec it's cranking but not starting....there's alot of things that could cause this.

Check you fuel pressure first and foremost on the fuel rail. Alot of times the pressure valve on the fuel pump fails and allows the gas in the line to depresureize so the injectors are not primed. There's a fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail too. Both can be check from the manual. Pressure vs time.
Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.