Engine Coolant Drain plug...where? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Engine Coolant Drain plug...where?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-19-2009, 05:43 PM   #1
RogueXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Engine Coolant Drain plug...where?

Ok, I am trying to do a full system flush for my 97' 4.0 L XJ. Already found the radiator drain plug, now I neeed the engine block drain plug...Where is it? Pictures helpful....

RogueXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Look on the driver's side of the block, behind the exhaust manifold. You should see a square recess - this is the drive recess for the plug. It is 5/6" or 8m/m (same thing either way,) and you can make a tool fairly quickly from a cheap hex key (instead of buying a spendy one off of the tool truck.)

I am informed that the plug is threaded 3/8" NPT, and you can therefore secure a replacement at the local hardware store. One thing I plan to do is to put a valve in on an elbow to replace that silly plug...
Unread 05-18-2009, 09:51 AM   #3
xj2k
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the information. I was also looking for the engine coolant drain plug location. Now that I found it, while looking for a tool I realized that my 3/8" square drive was too big and your post, quoted below, I think you meant, 5/16" instead of 5/6".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
...It is 5/6" or 8m/m (same thing either way,) ...
Here's is a pic showing the location of the plug. It's a view looking into the xj from left front. I've taken off a under engine splash guard.

xj2k
xj2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2009, 09:56 AM   #4
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I personally don't drain the block. As long as coolant is changed somewhat regularly, I don't think it's necessary.

And as for the radiator, I drain it by dropping the lower hose. Easier than getting to the radiator petcock and less chance of snapping it off/leaks.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #5
mjonesjr
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I know this is an old post, but would this drain location be a good spot for a temp gauge sensor?
mjonesjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.