Engine Code: P1494 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Engine Code: P1494

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 04-12-2008, 02:57 AM   #1
00xj54
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Engine Code: P1494

I got light and ran the code. Came up with this.

P1494

Definition
Evap leak detection pump pressure switch condition
Explanation
ECM detected the leak detection pump swith did change after solenoid was energized
Probable Cause
1.-Leak detection pump defective
2.-Open or shorted circuit condition
3. Solenoid defective

Soooo what does it all mean. Any help would be.. uhh... helpful.

[B]|15" Canyon Crawlers | 30x9.5 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos | [Lifted (2" Teraflex Spacers | 2.5" RE AAL | Edlebrocks IAS)| K&N Homebrew Intake | Flow Master 70 |Clear Corners/Side Markers| Class III Hidden Hitch | C4x4 Fronts Tow Hooks | JKS Discos | Surco Safari Rack | Hella 500s |
00xj54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2008, 06:45 AM   #2
SilverXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The P1494 code is in fact the leak detection pump. Its the little round thing near a green valve cover on the passenger fire wall. The FSM doesn't give me any more information on testing other than to replace it.
SilverXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2008, 04:12 PM   #3
00xj54
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Back to the top
[B]|15" Canyon Crawlers | 30x9.5 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos | [Lifted (2" Teraflex Spacers | 2.5" RE AAL | Edlebrocks IAS)| K&N Homebrew Intake | Flow Master 70 |Clear Corners/Side Markers| Class III Hidden Hitch | C4x4 Fronts Tow Hooks | JKS Discos | Surco Safari Rack | Hella 500s |
Unread 04-12-2008, 04:42 PM   #4
SilverXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Have any friends with a 00+ Jeep? Could try swapping out the pump, clearing the code and see if it comes up again.
SilverXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2008, 01:48 AM   #5
00xj54
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I guess I could do that. Thanks.

Now I just need to find someone.
Unread 04-13-2008, 09:22 AM   #6
Walter Crovo

I have a spare pump, probably not your problem. ck the evap lines on the driverside firewall where they change direction and go toward the tank, the 90 degree connecting hoses crack and leak.
99 auto over 90k
Walter Crovo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2008, 02:02 PM   #7
louisd11
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I just removed the codes and haven't seen it since.
-Chrysler 8.25 Rear w/ 3.55 Gears
Horn Blasters 4 Horn set, Dynomax cat back sys., K&N FIPK, Fire Ext., Warrior Bumper (HERCULINEDw/ D-Ring Tabs)
______ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]

_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
louisd11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2008, 04:40 PM   #8
cajunbull61

I just dealt with this exact problem with on my 2001. It popped up and I erased the codes, stayed off for a short time then came back. I did some research on the internet and found a lot of info. One thing to check for is a vacuum leak. Trace the small vac line from the evap solenoid on the passenger side firewall to the intake manifold. There is a rubber connector that hooks up to a fitting on the intake. Mine was soft and starting to deteriorate and was off of the fitting. I think mine popped off when I was starting my Jeep and it "sneezed". I let the key go just before the Jeep started and it made a sound like a sneeze or cough. Anyway, I replaced the connector and reset the computer and haven't had anymore issues since. My advice is to check all your vac lines before buying any parts.
cajunbull61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2008, 12:08 PM   #9
djeep1994
2000 XJ Cherokee 

i just received this same code this week and I also realized that i am leaking antifreeze out of my freeze plugs. Would this just be detecting the leaking antifreeze. Or is this just another problem that i am going to have to deal with. Thanks guys
Unread 06-14-2008, 07:11 PM   #10
JeepJinx

---deleted---

Last edited by JeepJinx; 06-15-2008 at 07:18 PM..
JeepJinx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2008, 02:40 PM   #11
jimraupp
2001 FSJ Cherokee 

cajunbull61 pegged it

I also did a lot of looking on the internet, and tried to figure out what could possible be under the airbox. Finally saw the emission label clearly, the LDP is under the passenger side hood hinge. Traced the lines back, I don't know HOW we missed the vacuum line hanging off near the intake manifold !!! The 90 degree elbow is also soft, I'll be replacing that.
jimraupp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #12
brian0128
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Glad I found this thread. I had the same code on a 99 Cherokee and found the LDP and traced the vacuum lines back and found a 90 degree elbow that had come off the intake manifold. I'm going to go and pick one up tonight to replace it. How can I clear then engine code? I had it read by Auto Zone.
brian0128 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2010, 06:25 PM   #13
barrys
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunbull61 View Post
I just dealt with this exact problem with on my 2001. It popped up and I erased the codes, stayed off for a short time then came back. I did some research on the internet and found a lot of info. One thing to check for is a vacuum leak. Trace the small vac line from the evap solenoid on the passenger side firewall to the intake manifold. There is a rubber connector that hooks up to a fitting on the intake. Mine was soft and starting to deteriorate and was off of the fitting. I think mine popped off when I was starting my Jeep and it "sneezed". I let the key go just before the Jeep started and it made a sound like a sneeze or cough. Anyway, I replaced the connector and reset the computer and haven't had anymore issues since. My advice is to check all your vac lines before buying any parts.
Mine "sneezed" also, I quickly found the 90 degree elbow on the intake manifold that was off. The light went off and hopefully will stay off. The elbow is soft so I will look into getting a new one.
barrys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2011, 11:51 AM   #14
1992 renagade
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info I enjoy a easy fix. I too found the vacuum
elbow off at the intake manifold a quick trip to Pep Boys for a 5/32 x 5/32
vac. connector and i'm back in business!

1992 black Renegade
4.0L 5spd. 4:10 gears 33x12.50 BFG KM 2's A to Z fabrication front and rear bumpers and cage
1994 YJ Sahara Project Bean
2000 Jeep Cherokee Stock
AtoZ Fabrications www.atozfabrication.com
Blue Mountain Jeep Alliance www.bmja.org
Delaware jeep Association www.delawareja.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Screw the HOA. More guys just need to start doing man things in the garage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Jeeps are like mistresses, they take all your money, but boy what a ride!
1992 renagade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2011, 07:10 PM   #15
RyMac
2001 XJ Cherokee 

P1494

Man am I glad that I found this thread.... 90 vac line, dry rotted and popped off just like the rest of them. Put on a new 90, cleared the code and good to go. Thanks
RyMac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.