Engine chugging and belt whine? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Engine chugging and belt whine?

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 05-25-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
JeepJohn92
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Engine chugging and belt whine?

Its a bit weird because I figured it was just a bad batch of Petrol but it hasn't gone away since I've put in more fuel. I use 87 octane if it matters. Its very strange in the sense that it wasn't doing it one minute then one start up later, within a couple hours, it was chugging. I cant seem to pin point the whining near the belt but it seems to be coming from the power steering. If that is so then I'm not understanding why THAT would make the engine chug. I wanted to assume that it was an air intake problem seeing as how I also, sometimes, get intermittent stalling. I feel like that may or may not be it because for those of you know me I just finished rewiring my harness due to a freak squirrel accident where it tried to eat the inside of my engine bay. Its unlikely that it has to do with that because everything from that has been mended except a few minor vacuum hoses. I had earlier last week replaced my fuel filter to try and get rid of the stalling and it worked.... for a minuted. Any ideas on where else to look?

Colorado Jeep Club Member #343
Built not bought.
JeepJohn92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Which fuel filter?
There is an inline on the frame, and one in the tank, just recently on my new-to-me 88 the one in the tank clogged too. If you need to see a pic its on my thread- 88 Cherokee will not idle.
79chiefs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
JeepJohn92
1988 XJ Cherokee 

The inline filter.
Built not bought.
Unread 05-25-2013, 10:14 PM   #4
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Test your fuel pressure, it would tell if there is a problem with fuel delivery.
79chiefs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 10:31 PM   #5
JeepJohn92
1988 XJ Cherokee 

There's no point because my fuel injectors are..screwed so I wont get an accurate read out. Im starting to think I blew a rod so Im going to take my valve head off tomorrow and poke around. Its supposed to be warm and dry.
Built not bought.
Unread 05-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Belts don't "whine"...they squeal! P/S pumps whine...and moan...and leak. Have you check your P/S fluid? Looked for leaks?? Belt tight ?

Lemme see...you KNOW your injectors are screwed...you're wondering why it's chugging...but you think you "blew a rod"??? I'd say you have multiple problems. None of which will be solved by removing the head and "poking around".
Unread 05-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #7
JeepJohn92
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Alright by screwed i meant 'not working properly but still functional' and yes i added power steering fluid and it stopped the whining. Excuse you for being rude. So you can try and help? Or quit your elitist bull **** and leave. The weirdest thing happened yesterday, I was at a BBQ and it was still chugging but I went to go pick up beer and it ceased. So it leads me to believe its a worn/wearing part. I talked with my mechanical adviser and he said maybe it was a clogged push rod or something and it would also be my cam. So YES! I am going to REMOVE MY VALVE HEAD and 'poke around'. I'm gonna remove my ignition coil and crank it to see if my rockers are... well.... rocking. This Friday I'm also going to give my engine a chemical treatment that should clear out any clogs or gummed up areas along with an oil change. Start with the cheapest and most simple solution.

On a side note, i meant 'snapped' not 'blew' a rod. My bad. Also, I used one of those fuel treatment things, about a 6oz bottle? On sale right now at AAP in my last tank of gas. May or may not have something to do with it seeing as how I just rolled over to 274k miles.
Built not bought.
Unread 05-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #8
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not being rude, just trying to figure out your diagnostic proccesses.
I did not say bull****, you did

Good Luck
Unread 05-27-2013, 01:46 PM   #9
JeepJohn92
1988 XJ Cherokee 

It came off as very rude and Its a little frustrating, this situation.
Built not bought.
Unread 05-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #10
JeepJohn92
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Im very frugal, so I try and do the cheapest and easiest, least time consuming diagnostic first and then work my way in or around and follow the clues. Like Sherlock Holmes.
Built not bought.
Unread 05-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #11
JeepJohn92
1988 XJ Cherokee 

its getting to the point where its just about every other start up where it performs just fine. and if I start it up right after the perfomance is the same. I just drove to the corner store for snacks and came back, on my way there I had 'the chug' but on the way home it was just fine.
Built not bought.
Unread 05-28-2013, 09:23 PM   #12
JeepJohn92
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Now it only 'chugs' for lack of a better term on a cold start up, 4-8 hour cool down time. Once it gets warmed up it will perform just fine. Maybe a clogged push rod or something? Im not too sure and a little lost on this one.
Built not bought.
Unread 05-28-2013, 10:24 PM   #13
CoyoteHunter
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm interested to see what is happening with your XJ.
MY 99 has been gurgling lately on cold start ups, but not every time. Usually only lasts for 1 minute max. My belt and P/S have also been whining/squealing. P/S fluid was low, so that has been corrected. When I get time I'm gonna figure out the gurgle and belt squeal . Almost sounds like my coolant bottle boiling, but since it's doing it on cold startups I'm thinking maybe air in the system.
CoyoteHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2013, 10:56 PM   #14
JeepJohn92
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Ill keep posted on any further developments and what I do to remedy anything. This Friday when I get some spare time from work I'm going to give it a chemical treatment within the oil along with an oil change. Ive had a few friends of mine give advice that pointed me to a rod snapped, cam shaft was buggy or air/fuel delivery. The last couple I'm doubtful of but still willing to explore them. as far as my fuel injectors they're dysfunctional on seldom start ups and im sure its just build up in em. I just have to work em around for a second and he starts right up. If you find anything else, please post it as well. Maybe it can point me to something even if we dont have the same issue.
Built not bought.
Unread 06-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #15
JeepJohn92
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Did an oil change and put in some of that MOA stuff. Took my valve cover off and checked my rockers, doin fine. Lifters and rods looked to be in good condition. Oiling everything well. Fixed up a couple D/C'd vacuum lines but none of them fixed what I was looking for. Problem still exists but Im thinking maybe a new seal on my intake manifold will help even just a little. Ive got a spare seal kit layin around here some where.
Built not bought.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.