Engine Block Coolant Drain Plug - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Engine Block Coolant Drain Plug

Gear Installs at CCOR SpecialSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 08-11-2002, 10:25 AM   #1
FlyinJeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

Engine Block Coolant Drain Plug

I'm draining & flushing the cooling system on my 96 cherokee (4.0L 6). There's is a block drain plug on the left side of the engine that the book says needs to come out to get all the the coolant out of the engine. Anybody know what size the plug is? I can barely see the darn thing much less tell what size wrench, ratchet, whatever it will take to get it out. Do you guys actually take it out? Does it matter? I'm used to doing alot of my own maint. but I am new to the Jeep world. Just got my Cherokee about a month ago. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Tony

FlyinJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2002, 01:45 PM   #2
Linux Nuke
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Don't even think about removing it unless you have the manifolds off for access.

Otherwise, you can just about see it with something like a dentist's mirror, and just about reach it with your hand, both from below.

It has a 5/16" square female socket (ie not a standard socket drive size like 1/2" or 3/8").

I once made an adaptor to try to remove it, but in the restricted space I just could not exert enough force to move it.

It is in the owner's handbook as a routine job as if any owner could do it, but goodness knows why.

Don't worry. Flush the engine by disconnecting the radiator hoses and then sticking a garden hose pipe into a heater hose connection and blasting through.
Linux Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2002, 02:44 PM   #3
FlyinJeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply Linux,
Just came in from the garage to see if anybody had an answer. That's what really put me off, was the fact it talks about in in the owners mannual and the repair book that I have. They make it sound like you can just reach in there and take it out, no worries at all! The only way that I could even SEE the thing was with a mirror. And the other thing that was confusing was that a 3/8 rachet was too big and a 1/4 was too small. It makes since now that you say it is a 5/16. What I did was exactly what you suggested. I flushed it through the heater hose with the bottom radiator hose removed (I was replacing all the hoses also).

Seems like great minds think alike, huh?

Thanks again for your thoughts and help.

BTW, I come to England a few times a year with my job, always have a blast. Usually come to the Cambridge area, they have some great pubs! Cheers.

Tony
FlyinJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2002, 04:59 PM   #4
Flanz

This is just great timing. I was about to flush my roommates system and I came in here and this was the first post. Now I won't even try to look for that bolt. You have both been a great help. Thanks
Unread 08-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #5
silver7even
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The correct tool Item#94961

Harbor Frieght
silver7even is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
Bobplymouth
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I have been flushing my 97 and 98 often this summer.

I remove the drain plug on the passenger side of the radiator,

by removing the headlight cover, and signal light.
Bobplymouth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2014, 01:44 AM   #7
AZSobo
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Location: Somewhere in the desert west of New Mexico and east of California., AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver7even View Post
Harbor Frieght
Can you get in there with that on a ratchet or breaker bar?
Unread 01-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Don't bother with the block drain plug, or the radiator drain. One is a pain to reach, and the other is too fragile. Just remove the lower radiator hose. Collect and correctly dispose of the drained coolant.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2014, 03:58 PM   #9
AZSobo
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Location: Somewhere in the desert west of New Mexico and east of California., AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Don't bother with the block drain plug, or the radiator drain. One is a pain to reach, and the other is too fragile. Just remove the lower radiator hose. Collect and correctly dispose of the drained coolant.
I haven't crawled under to look yet (TJ not XJ) but I need to switch coolant from an OAT to a HOAT and was really hoping to cut down on the number of times I have to flush with water. Disposing of all that water is a PIA - where I live no one wants it, the chemical waste dump that does take it charges per gal.
Unread 01-07-2014, 05:15 PM   #10
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

If you have city water and sewage treatment, you can pour it down the drain.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2014, 06:59 PM   #11
BlueRidgeMark
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Last edited by BlueRidgeMark; 01-07-2014 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: Double post
BlueRidgeMark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2014, 07:02 PM   #12
BlueRidgeMark
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
If you have city water and sewage, you can pour it down the drain.

HERESY!

Or... maybe not.

http://www.imcool.com/articles/antif...r_Disposal.php

(Posted for the benefit of anyone who might get bent out of shape at Tim's suggestion.)

That's CITY sewage, folks. If there's a municipal sewage treatment plant at the end of your drain, fine. (Though it would not surprise me if it's illegal in some jurisdictions.)

Otherwise, it's very much NOT fine.
BlueRidgeMark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.