Engine and 5 speed swap from a 96 to a 98 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 04-14-2017, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
alex211
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Engine and 5 speed swap from a 96 to a 98

So here's what I have going on, picked up a running and driving 96 xj with a 4.0 and a AX15 for $300. The body is way to rusted to save but I got a 98 xj with the 4.0 and Aw4 that has a bad engine.

What I want to do is swap the 4.0 and Ax15 from the 96 into the 98. Swapping the engine and trans is not problem the only issues I have are with the clutch pedal assembly and if I will run into any wiring problems.

I know that the 96 pedal assembly is different from what the 98 manual assembly is, how different is it though. I can weld and fabricate the pedal assembly to fit I just wondered if anyone had done the same and has any pointers for me with doing that.

Also the plan is to transfer all the wiring from the 98 engine to the 96 engine, but now with the transmission wiring, will the pcm need to be changed to work without the aw4 plugged in? Does the XJ have a separate controller for the AW4, I can't remember. If I end up needing to change the pcm for a 97 up with a manual which is hard to find then I am thinking that it would be easier to just swap the dash and body harness from the 96 into the 98 jeep.

That will give me the old style dash and allow me to keep the old style pedal assembly and column. Now will the 96 down dash bolt into a 97 up body?

Main thing is I am trying to do is swap the drivetrain into my 98 body and not be buying any parts, mainly a new PCM or pedal assembly. I have not started swapping parts yet, looking for some input from you guys on the best way to do this. Been tossing around whether it would be better to just swap EVERYTHING dash, column, pedals, wiring, etc from my 96 into my 98 body or if I can easily blend the 96 drivetrain into the 98 and keep the newer dash.

So I guess the deciding factors are if the 98s auto PCM won't run ok (enter closed loop) without an AW4 or if the manual 96 pedal no way no how going to work with the newer dash/column then I'm gonna gut both jeeps and put all the 96 parts in the 98.

Thanks for the input guys. This is like XJ number 5 for me, but first time I get to play with the new body style so little I don't know here. Had another white 95 5 speed 4 door 2 years ago but it was from down south so didnt have to worry about finding a good body for the AX15. Also had a white 89 Renix 4 door 5 speed with the Peugot trans.

The 95 I had in 2014

95 xj bone stock for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-14-2017, 08:54 PM
shooptube
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Basically you can use the auto PCM with a manual swap but you will have a check engine light unless you send the PCM out to get reprogrammed. You definitely want to keep the 97+ computer system because all of the sensors on the new Jeep will not have to be changed. Swap the engine but use the 98s sensors. Yes the xj has a separate transmission controller you can unplug. Also you will need to bypass the neutral safety switch so you can start the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95 View Post

Vaginal condoms. I wheel a minivan.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-17-2017, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
alex211
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Where would be a good place to send the PCM to get reprogrammed? I have two auto PCMs from 98s, so I can drive it with one while the other is getting programmed.

95 xj bone stock for now

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.