Eliminating the exhaust pipe - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Eliminating the exhaust pipe

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 05-22-2012, 11:30 AM   #16
dest
2000 XJ Cherokee 

After running muffler-less for quite a while if you really want it loud just cut it off after the cat. You'll be able to tell how loud it is and make a decision from there. I've since put a dynomax exhaust on it and I think it's quieter than stock but it has been a while since I've had an exhaust on it...

dest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #17
98XJmtar14
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Correct me if I'm wrong please because I might be crazy but like in_motion said if you were to just do straight pipe it would be loud and sound pretty decent I would think but I wouldn't do 3" pipe. Now this is where someone can tell me if I'm crazy or not because I might just have this all wrong but it makes sense to me...If you cut off everything from the just after the cat back and did straight pipe then depending on the size pipe you could still retain your back pressure. The way I see it the back pressure is the speed that the exhaust exits the vehicle completely so the muffler (pardon my crap metaphor) acts like an accident on the highway it slows everything down a bit but not completely so it keeps moving but it backs things up a bit. So assuming that that metaphor is correct if you were to use smaller pipe the exhaust wouldn't escape as quickly so the back pressure would be at least somewhat retained and you would get pretty freakin' loud exhaust that I think would still sound good.

I guess thats more of a question to you more wise jeepers and then if I am correct then an answer for the OP on what I would do, and personally I've wanted to do straight pipe with no cat or muffler just to piss everyone off lol but thats just me!
Unread 05-22-2012, 01:44 PM   #18
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpipelayerxj View Post
You can take cat off anywhere without emission testing. Lots of places. Also, yeah the CO gas thing is stupid. BUT, if "I" were him looking for a little louder sound, I would take off everything behind the cat, and put a 90 sideways or straight down, then he still has all his o2 sensors hooked up and no thrown codes. Just a slight loss in back pressure. Best of both worlds. Just my .02
It is a crime under US Federal Law, punishable with a fine up to $25000, to remove a functional Catalytic Converter, and all emission control devices installed by the factory must remain on the vehicle.
Technically, Puerto Rico is subject to US Federal laws...
But, as some might say, it's only illegal if you get caught

As for the SOUND, IMHO any stock motor does NOT sound "cool" w/o a muffler.
You need an appropriate Camshaft, and preferably EIGHT cylinders!

Also, some might argue that insufficient back pressure might contribute to burnt exhaust valves
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2012, 03:29 PM   #19
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I'm used to the California popo where a modified exhaust is good for a fix-it ticket, all they need to do is take a quick look under the car. If it looks modified, you get the ticket. As previously mentioned it's also disrespectful to drone around town.

OK, OK, I'm off the soap box....

The 4.0l engine, or any engine for that matter, requires back pressure to build torque. If you were to simply remove the cat and muffler and run a straight pipe, your engine would run like crap and would have little to no low end torque. Also, with a very short muffler-less exhaust, cool air can flow backup the pipe and warp your valves when the motor is shut off.

So, to recap: There is nothing good that can happen if you remove your cat/muffler. Except it sounds neat-o to a teenager.
Diamond-x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2012, 04:28 PM   #20
kg4kzv
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Anyone tried the DynoMax VT. I like the idea of it if it works. I hate the droning that comes with most performance mufflers. Also it seems like it would be stealth like when your not standing on it.

Chris
I-ROK reinforcement kit, ORO U-TURN steering kit,Conversion Headlights/Silverstars And too much $$$
kg4kzv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #21
BlueRidgeMark
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
CO leakage into the cabin of the jeep is obnoxious no matter where you live. So is the brain damage that comes with it.
Yes, and sometimes that brain damage comes in the form of having your skull plastered all over the road or a tree because the CO put you to sleep behind the wheel.

Running with your exhaust dumping out somewhere under the vehicle is just plain....

(get ready for it)

STUPID!!

Quote:
Either get an aftermarket exhaust setup and do it right, or dont bother.

Yep. Aftermarket can be a great thing.

Butchering your exhaust system because you think it will sound "good" is just asking for a damaged engine or worse.
BlueRidgeMark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2012, 03:42 AM   #22
WindsorRenegade
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
CO leakage into the cabin of the jeep is obnoxious no matter where you live. So is the brain damage that comes with it.

Either get an aftermarket exhaust setup and do it right, or dont bother.
Hey; I never said it wouldn't hurt your brains. I agree with you 100%.
Unread 05-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #23
merdock69
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you take your exhaust off then the engine will suck cold air in the hot exhaust valves and they twist like pretzels!!!!

Just kidding... Don't be stupid, just buy glass packs or have the muffler shop install a dump before the cat....
merdock69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2012, 08:35 AM   #24
park308
1991 XJ Cherokee 

So question if I were to take off my cat and install the flowmaster muffler would that not be good or could I take out the cat. Right now my muffler fell off and I have bought a new muffler to install but I think the cat is clogged/not working right
park308 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #25
Jeff9
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I don't really understand what's to gain by taking off the cat. Not like someone is going to stick his head under your jeep and say "wow cool bro!"...there are plenty of legal mufflers that sound great.
Jeff9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2012, 08:56 AM   #26
park308
1991 XJ Cherokee 

It rusted and I don't have the funds to buy a new one so my question is will it affect the motor in any negative way I am not trying to sound look cool I am trying to make it a dd all I want is functionality
Unread 05-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #27
Pats94
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Depends on the year. It won't affect anything except emissions on older ones. Just try to get 1 on as soon as funds allow.
You may be able to offset the cost of a new catalytic converter by scraping the old one. They will give you money for used catalytic converters.
Unread 05-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #28
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by park308 View Post
It rusted and I don't have the funds to buy a new one so my question is will it affect the motor in any negative way I am not trying to sound look cool I am trying to make it a dd all I want is functionality
You will set a Check Engine light. I'd just run one of these. It even has the O2 sensor bung.

http://performance-curve.com/425225-...nvertero2.aspx

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2012, 09:40 AM   #29
park308
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks I will probably be able to afford that one I have a 91 XJ 4.0
Unread 05-25-2012, 09:57 AM   #30
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

*IF* I were going to ignore the legal questions, I'd replace the cat with a thrush glasspack style muffler, and put a 45 degree turn down coming off the muffler.

I've often wondered what an XJ would sound like if you put a glasspack where the cat is and then ran a decent muffler. After the glasspack burns out, it would basically be a resonator tube.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
exhaust , louder , pipe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.