Eliminating the exhaust pipe - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Eliminating the exhaust pipe

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 05-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
Inti

Eliminating the exhaust pipe

What would happen if I disconnected the exhaust pipe from the engine, or farther away from the engine? Would it kill my engine?

Edit:

Allright so, I won't disconnect it from the block, but what can I do to make the xj louder/sound good.

Last edited by Inti; 05-20-2012 at 03:50 PM..
Inti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
blue96jeep
1996 XJ Cherokee 

It would be loud as hell if any of it was removed before the muffler. If taken off at the engine the exhaust gases would be so hot it would destroy everything in the engine compartment.
blue96jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
Inti

I want to make it loud, so i'l be removing it before the muffler. But honestly I don't want it just to be loud, I want it to sound good. Any suggestions?
Inti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
Pats94
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inti
What would happen if I disconnected the exhaust pipe from the engine, or farther away from the engine? Would it kill my engine?
If you went faster than 55 the downward thrust of the escaping exhaust gas would left the entire front end off the ground...

Just kidding! Not good for the motor and the carbon monoxide would not be good for you. Not to mention you couldn't even hear yourself think!!!
Unread 05-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
WindsorRenegade
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You don't mean straight off the block do you??
Unread 05-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #6
in_motion
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Drop the coin on a Flowmaster, I've heard very good things about the exhaust note they give and they are a reliable brand. I had a Cherry Bomb on my 4 cyl that actually sounded nice and growly, without going all ricer-fart-can, if you don't want to throw down on a Flowmaster. Or just send 3" pipe out the back after the cat...
1995 XJ Country, 4.0, aw-4, 231, babysat for brother...
in_motion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #7
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Mufflers

Mufflers serve a purpose more than just making your ride quieter,They create a back pressure which the engine needs to run correctly,Personally I like my Dyno Max don't recall what model it is but good sound.
buildin1XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #8
BUSA
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I just ordered as we speak a magnaflow cat & stainless flowmaster exhaust system set me back $570.00 but its all gd hope it sounds gd with the banks header i have...............
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #9
ChewyXJ
nom nom nom

Loud doesn't equal good. Loud equals obnoxious and disrespectful. Respect your neighbors and keep it properly muffled.

In addition, it is illegal to remove the cat/converter.
'87 XJ 2" lift
'96 XJ stock

"Personally, I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making some more."

"Don't believe everything you think..."
ChewyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #10
mwitkowski24
1998 XJ Cherokee 

My muffler recently fell off and it sounded loud....but it def didn't sound good.
mwitkowski24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #11
nwpipelayerxj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewyXJ
Loud doesn't equal good. Loud equals obnoxious and disrespectful. Respect your neighbors and keep it properly muffled.

Yeah you disrespectful loud sob lol
nwpipelayerxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #12
WindsorRenegade
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewyXJ View Post

Maybe here it is. But this guy is in puerto rico. I don't know if it matters there.
Unread 05-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #13
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

CO leakage into the cabin of the jeep is obnoxious no matter where you live. So is the brain damage that comes with it.

Either get an aftermarket exhaust setup and do it right, or dont bother.
Unread 05-22-2012, 07:46 AM   #14
nwpipelayerxj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

You can take cat off anywhere without emission testing. Lots of places. Also, yeah the CO gas thing is stupid. BUT, if "I" were him looking for a little louder sound, I would take off everything behind the cat, and put a 90 sideways or straight down, then he still has all his o2 sensors hooked up and no thrown codes. Just a slight loss in back pressure. Best of both worlds. Just my .02
nwpipelayerxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2012, 08:41 AM   #15
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
CO leakage into the cabin of the jeep is obnoxious no matter where you live. So is the brain damage that comes with it.

Either get an aftermarket exhaust setup and do it right, or dont bother.
This. Do it right or not at all. Flowmaster mufflers are loud but sound pretty good. If you hack off the exhaust it will be loud but sound like crap.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
exhaust , louder , pipe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.