JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ Cherokee Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/)
-   -   Eliminating the exhaust pipe (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/eliminating-exhaust-pipe-1371247/)

Inti 05-20-2012 01:22 PM

Eliminating the exhaust pipe

What would happen if I disconnected the exhaust pipe from the engine, or farther away from the engine? Would it kill my engine?

Edit:

Allright so, I won't disconnect it from the block, but what can I do to make the xj louder/sound good.

blue96jeep 05-20-2012 01:52 PM

It would be loud as hell if any of it was removed before the muffler. If taken off at the engine the exhaust gases would be so hot it would destroy everything in the engine compartment.

Inti 05-20-2012 02:06 PM

I want to make it loud, so i'l be removing it before the muffler. But honestly I don't want it just to be loud, I want it to sound good. Any suggestions?

Pats94 05-20-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inti
What would happen if I disconnected the exhaust pipe from the engine, or farther away from the engine? Would it kill my engine?

If you went faster than 55 the downward thrust of the escaping exhaust gas would left the entire front end off the ground...

Just kidding! Not good for the motor and the carbon monoxide would not be good for you. Not to mention you couldn't even hear yourself think!!!

WindsorRenegade 05-20-2012 02:25 PM

You don't mean straight off the block do you??

in_motion 05-21-2012 12:47 PM

Drop the coin on a Flowmaster, I've heard very good things about the exhaust note they give and they are a reliable brand. I had a Cherry Bomb on my 4 cyl that actually sounded nice and growly, without going all ricer-fart-can, if you don't want to throw down on a Flowmaster. Or just send 3" pipe out the back after the cat... :rofl:

buildin1XJ 05-21-2012 01:02 PM

Mufflers

Mufflers serve a purpose more than just making your ride quieter,They create a back pressure which the engine needs to run correctly,Personally I like my Dyno Max don't recall what model it is but good sound.

BUSA 05-21-2012 01:21 PM

I just ordered as we speak a magnaflow cat & stainless flowmaster exhaust system set me back $570.00 but its all gd hope it sounds gd with the banks header i have...............

ChewyXJ 05-21-2012 01:31 PM

Loud doesn't equal good. Loud equals obnoxious and disrespectful. Respect your neighbors and keep it properly muffled.

In addition, it is illegal to remove the cat/converter.

mwitkowski24 05-21-2012 06:27 PM

My muffler recently fell off and it sounded loud....but it def didn't sound good.

nwpipelayerxj 05-21-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChewyXJ
Loud doesn't equal good. Loud equals obnoxious and disrespectful. Respect your neighbors and keep it properly muffled.

Yeah you disrespectful loud sob lol

WindsorRenegade 05-21-2012 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChewyXJ (Post 13602446)

Maybe here it is. But this guy is in puerto rico. I don't know if it matters there.

Azzy 05-21-2012 08:04 PM

CO leakage into the cabin of the jeep is obnoxious no matter where you live. So is the brain damage that comes with it.

Either get an aftermarket exhaust setup and do it right, or dont bother.

nwpipelayerxj 05-22-2012 06:46 AM

You can take cat off anywhere without emission testing. Lots of places. Also, yeah the CO gas thing is stupid. BUT, if "I" were him looking for a little louder sound, I would take off everything behind the cat, and put a 90 sideways or straight down, then he still has all his o2 sensors hooked up and no thrown codes. Just a slight loss in back pressure. Best of both worlds. Just my .02

jeepkid03 05-22-2012 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azzy (Post 13604484)
CO leakage into the cabin of the jeep is obnoxious no matter where you live. So is the brain damage that comes with it.

Either get an aftermarket exhaust setup and do it right, or dont bother.

This. Do it right or not at all. Flowmaster mufflers are loud but sound pretty good. If you hack off the exhaust it will be loud but sound like crap.

The time now is 06:12 AM.