Electrical wiring for lightbar - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Electrical wiring for lightbar

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 05-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
VTEK1
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Electrical wiring for lightbar

Okay, so I have a new lightbar on the way, and I have some good experience with wiring. My idea involves these 27W LED fogs i got for the light bar. I would like to wire 2 lights to one relay or 1 relay per. Hella has this nice little box which I'm going to mount under my driver's seat that houses 4 relays. I plan on using the typical 5 pin dual 87 relay with 30 amp fuses on every light.

http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-H8496009...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-H8498800...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All the wiring will be 12-10 gauge, except the trigger wires for the relay. Just looking for a nice, SAFE, install and keep it clean. Run the switches to either my center console, or under the dash where I have a 3 switch setup.

I hope this isn't too confusing to understand. Def open for suggestions but pretty set in my ways about using relays. I just don't know if I can use two lights on one relay to save space or should use 1 relay per light.

Thank you for your time.

Black Beast Build

MΘΣΝΔ ΚΘΒΦΘΡ
VTEK1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

you could wire them all on one relay. each light is only using 2.4 amps at most. unless you want individual control of each light or each set, save the relay space for other accessories if you can, there's no sense in wasting capacity.

http://www.supercircuits.com/resourc...amps-converter
voltage will be ~11.8 with the engine off and ~13.2-13.8 with the engine running.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #3
VTEK1
1999 XJ Cherokee 

WOW really????

Black Beast Build

MΘΣΝΔ ΚΘΒΦΘΡ
Unread 05-15-2013, 11:07 PM   #4
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEK1 View Post
WOW really????
yes really, watts/volts=amps
Unread 05-15-2013, 11:13 PM   #5
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

I don't see any real issues with your wiring plan, but it seems more aligned to old skool auxilliary lighting needs and doesn't take advantage of the lower power needs of LED lights. 10-12ga wire and 30amp fuses is way overkill but better than undersized.
chris87xj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 05:16 AM   #6
VTEK1
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeenan View Post
yes really, watts/volts=amps
I thought you had to figure in resistance with that. I mean apprently I'm making more difficult.

Is there an easier way to wire it up?? I'm trying to figure out a nice clean way to run the wiring to the roof so any suggestion (pictures especially) would be greatly appreciated.

Black Beast Build

MΘΣΝΔ ΚΘΒΦΘΡ
Unread 05-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #7
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEK1 View Post
I thought you had to figure in resistance with that. I mean apprently I'm making more difficult.

Is there an easier way to wire it up?? I'm trying to figure out a nice clean way to run the wiring to the roof so any suggestion (pictures especially) would be greatly appreciated.
That formula assumes a no resistance/perfect world scenario.

Resistance will come from the wire length, wire gauge or circular mils, and conductor material, it can be used to calculate voltage drop. voltage drop will be the difference between the voltage at the lights and the voltage at the battery. As the voltage decreases the required amperage will go up. Unless you're planing on using very long lengths of wire (100+ft) or very small wire voltage drop won't be a problem. The OEM XJ headlamp wiring is a good example of voltage drop from small gauge wire.
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #8
VTEK1
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the help guys, used 12 and 14 gauge wire and only used 2 relays. Thanks for the advice and input. Here's the final product.
img_0055.jpg   img_0059.jpg  

Black Beast Build

MΘΣΝΔ ΚΘΒΦΘΡ
Unread 06-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #9
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

So, how did you route the wires??
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #10
VTEK1
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I wired and left bank and right bank for the lights. So left 2 and right 2 lights are on seperate switches. I work on an ambulance so have left and right flood lights is something I have really found useful. So I ran from the lightbar, behind the weather stripping, down to boot and cut a very small slit in it, just enough to fit two wires, back to under my driver seat where you can see my fuse and relay block. Using the spot where airbag module use to be before they had a recall and placed it under the center console. Last pic is the switches the middle are for the front two on bumper, and left and right for each bank.
img_0067.jpg   img_0070.jpg   img_0069.jpg   img_0065.jpg   img_0066.jpg  

Black Beast Build

MΘΣΝΔ ΚΘΒΦΘΡ
Unread 06-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #11
VTEK1
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The power from the battery to relays comes from the battery, through firewall and under the seat, obviously. Hope this helps.

Black Beast Build

MΘΣΝΔ ΚΘΒΦΘΡ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.