Electrical questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Electrical questions

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 03-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
BigGreenoh9
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Electrical questions

I'm starting to tackle some of the electrical issues on my '97 Cherokee Sport.

1) I have power windows, and the switch stops working when you open the door. I'm thinking loose connection, but the switch ALWAYS works when the door is closed, and NEVER works when the door is open. Pass. side works great. Is it a bad ground in the harness i.e. the connection gets grounded through the latch striker when its closed? Any ideas where to start?

2) Looked at the fuses for some of the problem areas, like power mirrors and rear defroster that doesn't function. I replaced the missing fuse and now the defroster works, but still no power mirrors. Could this be related to the drivers door switch issues?

3) The courtesy lights all work with the headlight switch, and the dome lights work with the rear doors. BUT they do not work when the hatch is open, or when either of the front doors are open. Don't even know where to begin there.

Suggestions?

Unread 03-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Take the trim panel off the drivers door and inspect the wires. Issues with door wires are common. Look for chafed insulation, pinched or damaged wires, and failed wire splices. If the wires check OK consider that the master switch assembly on the door has failed.

Also check the pin switch in the door opening. If it is failed the dome light may not work. Inspect the switch on the cargo are dome lamp. Look for signs of burned or melted plastic.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

check the wires in between the door and body in the rubber boot,they tend to break and may not make contact when open but touch when closed.
Unread 03-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
N8N
1999 XJ Cherokee 

yeah, I'm thinking that it has something to do with a broken wire in the boot. It might be a busted ground wire - there is supposed to be a ground wire running through there but maybe that one is busted? There's a multi-pin connector behind the driver's side kick panel, if you disconnect that that'll give you more slack to work on it. I was actually just in there earlier today fixing a busted speaker wire... for some reason the wiring that Jeep used from the factory is a lot less flexible (fewer, bigger strands) than my roll of generic 16AWG speaker wire - so I expect my fix to be semi-permanent (until a different wire decides to give up.)
N8N is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
habbyguy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like it could be a ground wiring problem. The latch will do a lot better job of grounding the door than the hinges will, which would fit your symptoms pretty well. A quick way to test this would be to connect a voltmeter between the chassis and the door frame, while pushing the window button. There should be almost no voltage showing up, but if you do get more than a fraction of a volt with the door open and the window button engaged, you'll know that the ground wire to your door has gone bad. The good news is, this will be one of the easiest electrical fixes you'll ever do on your XJ.
habbyguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1997 , electrical , issues

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.