Electrical problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Electrical problems

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 06-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
inkei91
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Electrical problems

I have a 2000 jeep cherokee sport 4wl drive. 4.0 6 inline cylinders.
i have owned this jeep for about 4-5 years and ever since ive had it, it has been teeming with electrical issues. for example: in one weeks time about 2 years ago i replace the idle air control 6 times because it kept going bad. i replaced the battery because the old one was about half the size it needed to be. eventually i replaced the pcm unit located by the air intake with a used one. im currently having many problems with cylinder misfire and emissions codes. i replaced both o2 sensors and it ran fine for about 24 hours then back to same ol same ol.also my a/c clutch and cooling fan only run if i jump the relays. but i will add that they both ran a year ago in the summer just fine. i just went on a long haul(1000 miles) and lost my cruise control, blowers stuck on defrost and no heat. everyone ive asked says bad ground. ive checked all the grounds i can find and they are all good. any suggestions? alternator? another bad pcm? Thanks in advance

inkei91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

On a 12 year old vehicle you should expect some additional maintenance compared to a newer vehicle. One at a time test and diagnose the symptoms and make the necessary repairs. The cruise control and the blower vents are run by vacuum, you have vacuum leak.

Read the JeepForum FAQ's, use the forum search function, use the Google.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
cpttuna
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I would replace all the grounds.
cpttuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
inkei91
2000 XJ Cherokee 

i agree on the maintenance. but i mean like the switch turn the blowers so they are at my feet or head. and i already stated all my grounds are good
Unread 06-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The cruise control and the blower vents are run by vacuum, you have vacuum leak.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
Unread 06-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
inkei91
2000 XJ Cherokee 

what about the misfiring? it was also backfiring from time to time when accelerating?
Unread 06-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #7
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkei91 View Post
what about the misfiring? it was also backfiring from time to time when accelerating?
Engine control system, vacuum operated as well...
Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Post the exact Check Engine Light trouble code numbers you are downloading.

Unread 06-05-2012, 11:33 AM   #9
inkei91
2000 XJ Cherokee 

do you have any idea where the vacuum hose would be that would be leaking? they both went at the same time so im thinking its the same hose
and i got different codes from different readers ill go get them rechecked as i have been erasing them and seeing if they come back. Thank you btw
Unread 06-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #10
inkei91
2000 XJ Cherokee 

nvm i found on the side of my engine a totally disconnected hose! idk how it came off but i put it back on and bam! my blowers work fine. but now my biggest problem is that my a/c clutch and cooling fan only come on if manually jumped. im down in oklahoma city and its hot as hell! any thoughts as to why my relays are not engaging? test lighted where power comes into them and just a faint trace of juice. relays are all good
Unread 06-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #11
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
....my a/c clutch and cooling fan only come on if manually jumped.
If you are low on refrigerant, the compressor will not cycle. Have a shop test the the pressure or buy a kit with a tester. Do not overfill. Also test the high and low pressure switches and inspect the wire plugs/wires.

Unread 06-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #12
inkei91
2000 XJ Cherokee 

i just had the refridgerant filled by a mechanic who also checked the high and low pressure switches. he said there was no power coming to the relay to turn it on. could this be my pcm? i replaced it a couple years ago

Tags
cherokee , electrical , ground , jeep , wiring

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.