Electrical issues.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Electrical issues..

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-24-2013, 11:39 PM   #1
Jeepnbo
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Electrical issues..

Noticed that my Passenger rear Brake light blinks with blinker and brakes applied. While not applyed everything seems to function fine. and it is fine on drivers side. this thing was cobbled with previous owners wiring repair and i noticed a connector has a nice burn mark..

Jeepnbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 08:42 AM   #2
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

First check the ground at the fixture. Then go through the rest of them in the engine compartment and the other fixtures

Regards,

Jim W
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
Jeepnbo
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I went and got a foot of wiring with the connectors from another jeep. Should i bother splicing in the new connectors first or check grounds? This connector looks like somebody put a cigarette to it and held it there for a min or two but none of the wires are burned up?
Jeepnbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 09:49 AM   #4
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I would verify the grounds are good. I'm not criticizing your splicing technique(s), but it is a "seasoned" vehicle, with multiple owners and issues. (I don't liked the words "old and aged" too close to home). Do one thing at a time, check and verify. The symptoms don't seem to be a "voltage supply" problem, but more like there is too much current for the available ground(s) to handle. This "excess" current must find a way to ground, when it does, you get very interesting effects, dimly lit dome lights, dash lights even wayward brake lights, and rough engine idling. There are many posts with similar issues.

Regards,

Jim W
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.