Electrical ground points - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Electrical ground points

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippMagnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 12-04-2011, 07:22 PM   #46
TheMiddleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
I'll call it dedication. Would you rather have a $600 a month car payment and have to carry full coverage insurance?
Agreed. I have had that exact conversation with many people in the last few years. Been asked endlessly, why I don't just buy a newer vehicle.

There's so many reasons for it, like you said...high payments, high insurance (right now I pay $70/mth for insurance while my wife who has 10 more years on me pays more than double for her new Mazda). That and the fact that a Jeep is like a giant piece of Lego to me. You know what it's supposed to look like when it's done, but you know it's going to be tedious to get there. When you do get there though, and everything looks and works they way you envisioned, it's worth every minute of pain/frustration and stripped knuckles.

TheMiddleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #47
TheMiddleMan

So I went through the harness etc... today and checked all connections (unplugged/cleaned). I managed to get my left turn signal going again, think it was a faulty bulb (I replaced all bulbs today to new). But still having the same issue with the pass side park/turn lamp. I took a couple pics here just to give an idea of what I'm looking at. I'll try to explain it as best as possible to get this thing done. It seems to me like I'm just missing one small issue.

So first pic is of the lights when I have no headlights on, but put on my right blinker...power (albeit weak).

And with headlights on, nothing going to the pass side park/turn lamp.

I have redone the grounds as suggested, checked the wiring to confirm no cracking or grounds missing or off.
So what happens is:

Headlight switch on(pulled out) - No light output to park lamp, but turn on signal and there is very weak blinking.

Headlights off-turn signal on, stronger (but still not full power) blinking.

Could there be an issue around the headlight switch itself? I'm assuming it is grounded to the dash ground like the rest of the panel etc...?

Not too sure where to look next
Unread 12-07-2011, 04:36 PM   #48
Carl48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Make sure the replacement lamps for the parking lights and side marker lights are EXACTLY as specified in the owners manual.
Carl48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 04:39 PM   #49
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Bad ground at that parklamp.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 04:59 PM   #50
TheMiddleMan

Thanks guys.

Carl48 - Lamps were done to spec, made sure of that one

Cruiser54 - When you say ground at park lamp,do you mean that within the 3 wires coming out of the socket one or more of them may be compromised? Or should I look for a specific ground in relation to the park lamp? I wasn't sure if the whole harness had one ground, or if each lighting circuit would have it's own. Also, thanks for the tip on the starter, looks like tomorrow should be fun
Unread 12-07-2011, 05:04 PM   #51
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

If it were the main ground for the parklamps, BOTH of them would have the same issue. Take a real good look at the parklamp socket and nearby wiring. The ground to that socket could be bad.
Unread 12-07-2011, 05:11 PM   #52
JHW12084
1990 XJ Cherokee 

it can also be a faulty indicator switch, i have one faulty in a zj and it blinks fast when the lights are on like a bulb is out, but without the lights on, it blinks normal.
JHW12084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #53
Carl48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You probably already checked this, but make sure that the parking lamp and side marker lamp sockets are absolutely CLEAN and DRY...no oxidation, no moisture, no corrosion.

On my 91 XJ, the ground for the front lighting circuits is found on the left inner fender just aft of the PCM.
Unread 12-12-2011, 11:50 AM   #54
TheMiddleMan

Finally!!!

Fixed...knock on wood!
I went through the harness, grounds and everything else in that mess of a wiring set-up. One of the contacts within the connectors was loose at the wire, causing intermittent lights on the park side. Cleaned it up, reconnected and it looks good now. Turn signals all work to boot.
Time to move on to other "fun" adventures!!

Thanks for all the help guys, you saved me a ton of hassle more than once on this
Unread 12-12-2011, 05:26 PM   #55
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

My favorite mantra: RCBRC=Refresh Connections Before Replacing Components. Congratulations on sticking with it to the end.
Unread 12-12-2011, 07:36 PM   #56
TheMiddleMan

Quote:
My favorite mantra: RCBRC=Refresh Connections Before Replacing Components. Congratulations on sticking with it to the end.
Thanks cruiser. If you know of a way to ship beer across international borders without getting broken, let me know...I owe you guys a few micro-brews! Or we can just meet in Seattle

Unread 12-14-2011, 06:24 AM   #57
Carl48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMiddleMan View Post
Finally!!!

Fixed...

Sounds like you got it...way to stick with it.
Unread 12-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #58
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl48 View Post
I'm very impressed, too. Great job.
Unread 12-14-2011, 03:54 PM   #59
TheMiddleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl48 View Post
Quote:
I'm very impressed, too. Great job.
Thanks guys, and thanks for the guidance on it. It's nice to find a conclusion to it. Looking forward to moving on to the next challenge, so I'm sure you haven't heard the last from me
Unread 04-23-2013, 10:58 AM   #60
cray101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

On the question of electrical ground point on the Jeep, I have another question..
I have been trying to install a new battery on my Jeep Cherokee but the terminals are the wrong way around.. so I had to place the battery front to back. But this has resulted in the fact that the negative ground cable to the battery post is a tad too short to fit. I'd like to know if I run the battery negative to anywhere on the body of the car, will it be okay, or must it be connected to the engine ground as it was earlier?

thanks for your replies!
cray101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical issue , grounds , light dash electrical

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.