Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Electrical

491 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  cmhackl1 
#1 ·
I need help with my 1994 jeep Cherokee 4.0L. a couple of days ago my jeep died all of a sudden. When I would go to start it wants to start but doesn't go. I checked the fuel pump which it was good, fuel lines are clean, and no issues. I discovered the fuse to the Engine Control was blown. I replaced it but I drove about a mile and it blew again. I checked the electrical and repaired any damages but its still not wanting to go. I checked the coils, alternator, o2 sensor, the fuel pump again (just to make sure), and all of the grounds. I was told that the computer could possibly be the culprit but I'm at a loss. I need help figuring out the problem is.

#2 ·
Try this or a variation. Pull off a connector of your TPS or pretty much any sensor under the hood and try measuring the 5vdc that is used for powering the sensors (with the connector off measure the connector pins attached to the wire)..you will need a meter that measures DC voltage and ohms. Place the negative lead of your meter on battery ground and probe the connector pins of the sensor. be careful so you don't hose up the pins. what you are trying to accomplish is to verify you 5vdc is present..if it isn't you might have a shorted wire in you harness or a shorted sensor. this will cause issues if so. if you do not have 5vdc try pulling off other sensor connectors, hopefully the 5vdc returns and you've found your culprit..

#3 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the sensor power on an XJ actually supposed to be 8 volts DC?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.