Electric fan relay - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Electric fan relay

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-07-2011, 04:45 PM   #1
jdc48160
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Electric fan relay

So, I've ALMOST got this problem solved with my girl's XJ.

New water pump since the old one had no fins left on the impeller, new thermostat, and cap. Still runs just a bit hot cuz the e-fan isn't kicking on.

So, I did a bit of digging, found a thread about a similar issue. Said to unplug the temp sensor on the thermostat housing and see if the fan kicks on. Unplugged it, fan came on. The thread said if the fan came on with the sensor unplugged, that the relay is bad.

Now, the fun part. All the stupid auto parts store websites only show the relay like the GRAND Cherokee takes that mounts behind the grille. NOT the XJ relay that goes in the PDC under the hood.

Does anyone have a part number for the XJ cooling fan relay? 1996 4.0 w/ac.

jdc48160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Printed right on the relay, isn't it ? Just go to the local parts store, they should have the one you need.

www.rockauto.com has brand names and part numbers, look it up.

If the you unplug the Coolant Temperature Sensor and the e-fan turns ON, the e-fan wires, e-fan relay, and the e-fan are good.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 05:39 PM   #3
jdc48160
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Printed right on the relay, isn't it ? Just go to the local parts store, they should have the one you need.

www.rockauto.com has brand names and part numbers, look it up.
I'm just gonna have to go to the damn parts store. Rock Auto shows the same relay, the one that mounts behind the grille like on the Grand Cherokee, not the one in the PDC on the XJ.
Unread 07-07-2011, 09:10 PM   #4
medicmandan

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I had the same problem when I needed to replace my relay. Just take the old one into the parts store.
medicmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 09:54 PM   #5
jdc48160
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicmandan View Post
I had the same problem when I needed to replace my relay. Just take the old one into the parts store.
Good to see I'm not alone with this issue.
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
Rescue XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I just found I am having the same issue, time to hit up Napa tomorrow.
4L HO Command track Dana 30 front Chrysler 8.25 rear CarQuest XD shocks, Federal Signal emergency stuff, MCX 1000 DES-XL, TK-940, Astro Spectra W3 encrypted, Magnaflow 18" body, Medical supplies, MREs, Gatoraid, Shovel, MagLite, body armor, grappling hook, annoying squeeking sound from my door, otherwise stock for now.
White Jeep Club Member #911
Code 3 Jeep Club Member #1
Eagle Scout Jeep Club Member #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx50cj3a
Vatozone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Briarwood
I think "that look" is what they teach the chicks in 6th grade when they show them "that film" behind closed doors.
Rescue XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #7
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc48160 View Post
So, I've ALMOST got this problem solved with my girl's XJ.

New water pump since the old one had no fins left on the impeller, new thermostat, and cap. Still runs just a bit hot cuz the e-fan isn't kicking on.

So, I did a bit of digging, found a thread about a similar issue. Said to unplug the temp sensor on the thermostat housing and see if the fan kicks on. Unplugged it, fan came on. The thread said if the fan came on with the sensor unplugged, that the relay is bad.Now, the fun part. All the stupid auto parts store websites only show the relay like the GRAND Cherokee takes that mounts behind the grille. NOT the XJ relay that goes in the PDC under the hood.

Does anyone have a part number for the XJ cooling fan relay? 1996 4.0 w/ac.
"The thread said if the fan came on with the sensor unplugged, that the relay is bad."

This doesn't make sense. The fan gets it's power from the relay.

Could you post a link to the forum and thread that says this.

Man who stands in front of Jeep gets tired. Man who stands behind Jeep gets exhausted.
CCKen is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #8
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue XJ View Post
I just found I am having the same issue, time to hit up Napa tomorrow.
Same here on my 2000.
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Yeap its your nuts that giving you the trouble here...... Get the right ones
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCKen View Post
"The thread said if the fan came on with the sensor unplugged, that the relay is bad."

This doesn't make sense. The fan gets it's power from the relay.

Could you post a link to the forum and thread that says this.
I'm glad you brought up that point before I wasted $12.95 at Napa for a new one.I hooked my e fan to the battery and it's fine.It just doesn't come on by itself,ever.I'm a 6 x TJ guy and just learning the XJ problems.
Unread 05-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #10
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Bump!

Bump for a definitive answer.
Unread 05-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #11
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Bump for a definitive answer.
The E-Fan in your 2000 XJ will come on automatically under two conditions:

1. As a function of the AC System

2. When the engine coolant temp gets over 223*F

Here's an article that sort of explains how your 2000 AC System works.

http://www.askamechanic.info/askamec...nt/view/73/47/

Here's a procedure you can follow to see if the PCM is detecting a high coolant temp and turns the Fan on. Lots of people will tell you just to pull the connector off the ECT sensor and see if the fan runs. I see no real value in that procedure.

You'll need a 470 Ohm resistor (Radio Shack) to accumplish this test.

If the fan won't run in AC/Defrost or during the high coolant temp test, additional troubleshooting will be required.

Man who stands in front of Jeep gets tired. Man who stands behind Jeep gets exhausted.
Unread 05-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #12
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc48160 View Post
.... unplug the temp sensor on the thermostat housing and see if the fan kicks on.
If unplugging the temp sensor makes the e-fan turn ON, the relay, fan wires, and the e-fan are good.

If the e-fan does not turn on, the relay, fan wires, and e-fan are suspected to be faulty until testing proves otherwise.,

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
Unread 05-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #13
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

TheBoogieman,

If using the popular process of unplugging the temp sensor on the thermostat housing and seeing if the fan kicks on doesn't make your fan kick on, I'm sure CJ7-Tim will be more than willing to walk you through the exact troubleshooting steps.

Unread 05-04-2013, 07:03 AM   #14
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
If the e-fan does turn on, the relay, fan wires, and the e-fan are good. If it does not turn on, the relay, fan wires are e-fan are suspected to be faulty until testing proves otherwise.
Mine comes on when I do that.If I do the 470 Ohm resistor thing,what will that tell me? I'm stumped on what to do next.
Unread 05-04-2013, 07:14 AM   #15
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Boogieman I am not seeing your problem description and symptoms ?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.