Electric Door Locks Intermittent - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Electric Door Locks Intermittent

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 09-04-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
rsurran
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Electric Door Locks Intermittent

So my electric door locks don't operate sometimes from either the remote (horn sounds) or the door lock buttons. Before I start into the wiring diagrams I thought someone might be able to tell me right off if there is a relay and if so where it is located. I have done two searches and not got anything worth while.

Dick Surran

"When you stop contributing you are just taking up space."
rsurran is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Usually just applying white lithium grease to all of the locks' moving parts will help significantly.

Try just spraying the door latches while locking and unlocking each door for a $3 first round.

Current: Black 89 limited, dakota bastard pack, zj coils, 1.5" lift, open cooling swap, bronco 2 carrier, rad fan switch
Rest in Pieces: Red 1990 cherokee dana30/8.25 - v8 zj coils & s10 bastard pack 2.5" lift - 31x10.5r15 tires - v8 zj tierod

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentjeep View Post
Bleed or Quit.
jf irc @ irc.freenode.net #jeepforum
keepishop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
Fezwick
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have the same problem. The relays are in the passenger's side door switch panel. I don't think they're replaceable though. Sometimes if I wiggle the switch I can get the locks to work again. Do you hear the relay click when you hit the switch?

My guess is the whole passenger side panel is going bad. The entire power lock circuit runs through the passenger side panel. So if it goes bad, you won't have power locks. I'll check the wiring first to make sure, though.
Fezwick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
rsurran
2003 TJ Wrangler 

No the relay is not clicking. When I use the remote, the horn sounds but none of the doors lock. When using the lock button inside, nothing happens.

Dick Surran

Unread 09-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
rsurran
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sometimes it all works fine.

Dick Surran

Unread 09-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
Fezwick
2000 XJ Cherokee 

It's possible that the wiring between the kick panel and door is bad on the passenger side. You'll have to poke around with a multimeter and see if it's getting juice. This is straight from the 2000 FSM.

PASSENGER DOOR MODULE
The Passenger Door Module (PDM) contains the passenger side front door power lock switch and the power lock system control circuitry. In its role as a power lock switch, it provides the power lock system control circuitry with a ground path through the PDM ground circuit and the driver side power lock switch contacts to indicate a lock request or unlock request.
In its role as the power lock control module, the PDM receives inputs from the battery, the ignition switch, the DDM, the driver door ajar switch, the key-in ignition switch, and the headlamp switch. It also receives a hard-wired input from the RKE receiver, if the vehicle is so equipped. In response to these inputs, the PDM sends the proper outputs to control the power lock motors through its integral power lock and unlock relays. The PDM power lock system functions can be tested as outlined below. If the power lock system operates, but the RKE system lock and/or unlock functions are inoperative, see the diagnosis for the Remote Keyless Entry Transmitter in this group.

(1) Check the fuse in the junction block. If OK, go to Step 2. If not OK, repair the shorted circuit or component as required and replace the faulty fuse.
(2) Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Remove the passenger side front door trim panel and unplug the 8-way PDM wire harness con- nector (C-1) from the PDM. Check for continuity between the ground circuit cavity of the 8-way PDM wire harness connector and a good ground. There should be continuity. If OK, go to Step 3. If not OK, repair the open circuit to ground as required.
(3) If the problem being diagnosed is inoperative power lock switch illumination, proceed as follows. If the problem is not power lock switch illumination, go
to Step 5. Connect the battery negative cable. Turn the ignition switch to the Accessory or On positions. Check for battery voltage at both sides of the power window circuit breaker in the junction block. If OK, go to Step 4. If not OK, replace the faulty circuit breaker.
(4) With the ignition switch still in the Accessory or On positions, check for battery voltage at the fused ignition switch output circuit cavity of the 8-way PDM wire harness connector. If OK, replace the faulty PDM. If not OK, repair the open circuit to the junction block as required.
(5) If the problem being diagnosed is an inopera- tive door lock inhibit feature or a power lock system that responds to an Unlock command, but not a Lock command, proceed as follows. Otherwise, go to Step 7. With the driver side front door closed, check for continuity between the door ajar/key-in circuit cavity of the 8-way PDM wire harness connector and a good ground. There should be no continuity. If OK, go to Step 6. If not OK, repair the shorted door ajar and/or key-in ignition circuits as required. Refer to Group 8U - Chime/Buzzer Warning Systems for more infor- mation.
(6) Open the driver side front door with the key in the ignition switch or with the headlamp switch in the On position. Check for continuity between the door ajar/key-in circuit cavity of the 8-way PDM wire harness connector and a good ground. There should be continuity. If OK, go to Step 8. If not OK, repair the open door ajar and/or key-in ignition circuits as required. Refer to Group 8U - Chime/Buzzer Warning Systems for more information.
(7) Connect the battery negative cable. Check for battery voltage at the fused B(+) circuit cavity of the 8-way PDM wire harness connector. If OK, go to Step 8. If not OK, repair the open circuit to the fuse in the junction block as required.
(8) Test the PDM power lock switch continuity through the two PDM wire harness connector recep- tacles. See the PDM Power Lock Switch Continuity chart (Fig. 2) to determine if the continuity is correct in both the Lock and Unlock switch positions. If OK, see the diagnosis for Power Lock Motors in this group. If not OK, replace the faulty PDM.
Fezwick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2012, 03:55 AM   #7
rsurran
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Many thanks Fezwick. I'm hoping for a bad ground.

Dick Surran

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.