Electric cooling fan not working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Electric cooling fan not working

Jeep Wrangler Hurricane Flat Fender Flare Kits for 2007-208.8 Swap Kit w/ TRUSS for JeepsPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 04-16-2005, 05:04 PM   #1
lma1973

Where is the cooling fan fuse and relay?

Mine never kicks on. I heard that if i turn the AC on, then it should then as well, but i checked and it doesnt. I also looked at my fuses, but i dont see a fuse for the cooling fan anywhere. Does it have one?

Last edited by lma1973; 04-16-2005 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: clarity
lma1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2005, 07:37 PM   #2
badron

For 00 XJs

Electric cooling fan 4.0L: With or without A/C
request the electric fan will come on only when the
coolant temperature is at least 106 C (223 F), and
will remain on until the coolant temperature drops to
103 C (217 F) or below. Regardless of coolant tem-perature,
When air conditioning system pressures
reach 2068.5 6 138 kPa (300 6 20 psi) the electric
fan will engage and continue to run until the A/C
system pressure drops to 1620.3 kPa (235 psi) mini-mum,
then the electric fan will shut off.

Fuses are under the hood.

So the fan many not come on even if the AC is turned on. For OO XJs with I6s The 4 banger is different.

Last edited by badron; 04-16-2005 at 07:48 PM..
badron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2005, 07:45 PM   #3
Carp.xj

Quote:
Originally Posted by lma1973
Mine never kicks on. I heard that if i turn the AC on, then it should then as well, but i checked and it doesnt. I also looked at my fuses, but i dont see a fuse for the cooling fan anywhere. Does it have one?
This is a pretty common problem. I had the same.....
Do a search on the topic on this forum. There are a bunch of helpful threads on it.

I have heard that often it is the relay that goes bad. The electric fan itself is usually not the culprit. Isolate the fan and run electricity to it. If it works, it's the system.... if not it's obviously the fan.

I was lazy and just wired a manual switch to my dashboard in the cab. Now I can turn on the fan when I hit the trail, too keep everything nice and cool. I can turn it off in deep water etc..... I wanted a manual switch anyway, so when I found out it wasn't working I just took that option...
Dana 30, ChryCo 8.25 (w/ 29 splines), 4.56s
15x8 Cragar steel rims, black
33x12.5 GY MTRs
Bushwacker flares
Warn rear bumber w/ tire carrier
and other stuff....check out my website!!

[B]Sebastian[/B]
[B](SoCal)[/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][URL=http://my-xj.tripod.com]my xj site[/URL][/SIZE]
Carp.xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2005, 08:01 PM   #4
twisted_ed

if your a/c works and the a/c compressor comes on then its prob the relay. its one of the relays on the drivers side fender under the hood
NP242 Transfer case
Dana 30 front, 35 custom rear differentials

Mods:

RE 4.5" Lift
32x11.50 BFGoodRich M/T KM's
American Eagle 058 Polished Aluminum Wheels, 3.63" BS.
Grand Cherokee Rear Disc Brake setup
Custom Downpipe W/ Cat Removed.
Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler.
Surco Roof Rack

My Jeep
twisted_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2005, 08:22 PM   #5
lma1973

Ive already done a search, but none of the threads contained any info on exactly where the fuse and relay are located. Im still not sure....on the drivers side under the hood along the inside of the fender there is a little blue relay box, but everything thats connected to it doesnt run to the fan. I still have no idea where the relay is?
Unread 04-16-2005, 08:46 PM   #6
jugger

I recently had this problem. 2 possible problems.
1. If your air conditioning dosent get cold, then your low on freon. That will prevent your compressor and electric fan from turning on. Hence the fan will not turn on with the a/c.
2. If your electic fan dosent kick on regularly then you might have air leaks in your cooling system. look for wet spots.
jugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2005, 09:10 PM   #7
lma1973

I forgot to add a piece of info. Last year around September or so, the fan would continue running even when i turned the engine off. It was to the point where iw ould have to remove a battery cable to get it to shut off. Anyway, eventually it quit doing this....but evidently it quit working altogether. i just didnt notice because winter was coming and i didnt think the fan would be running much anyway. now that its warming up oputside, ive gotten concerned.

Anyway, would the fact that my fan was not shutting off have something to do with why now it will never come on?
Unread 04-16-2005, 11:32 PM   #8
twisted_ed

if any electrical component if running even when the engine is off untill you disconnect the battery that means that its shorting out. if its not doing it anymore then check the relay it could also have been stuck in the on position.

and you didnt search hard enuf, there is a post where I personally took pictures and detailed captions and uploaded them to a free hosting site for all to see, the link is in the stick tech first post about jumping but the link isnt work for some reason, but the search does bring it up. for ease heres the working link

http://www.fivezerofive.com/cpg132/t...s.php?album=81

mabe a mod can fix it.
NP242 Transfer case
Dana 30 front, 35 custom rear differentials

Mods:

RE 4.5" Lift
32x11.50 BFGoodRich M/T KM's
American Eagle 058 Polished Aluminum Wheels, 3.63" BS.
Grand Cherokee Rear Disc Brake setup
Custom Downpipe W/ Cat Removed.
Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler.
Surco Roof Rack

My Jeep
twisted_ed is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.