JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ Cherokee Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/)
-   -   Dynomax (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/dynomax-1405693/)

acurrier2012 08-15-2012 10:41 AM

Dynomax

Anybody have a 4.0l with a dynomax single in/single out muffler?

Bought one but havent installed it yet, just looking for opinions. If not Dynomax, what would you suggest?

I am probably dumping it out the side, in front of the tire. The guy who does my exhausts wasnt sure if he could make that work, as he had never done that on a cherokee.

Anybody have a pic of their exhaust being dumped out the side?

Thanks! :cheers2:

acurrier2012 08-15-2012 10:45 AM

Also, it was just the Muffler purchased, not the whole system.

david92xj 08-15-2012 05:03 PM

i have the dynomax cat back, with no cat though. it sounds fairly stock if you drive very lightly, but has a nice tone to it. though im pretty sure most of the packing is gone from mine its a LITTLE loud now but not near annoying. i also have an intake so that helps give it a more aggressive tone.

acurrier2012 08-16-2012 05:35 AM

I was hoping for it to be a little louder than "fairly stock", but again, at least its not annoyingly loud. Where does your exhaust come out? By the rear bumper, like a stock exhuast would, or out the side? Also, is it single in-single out?

david92xj 08-16-2012 09:03 AM

Yes its single (center) inlet, and single (offset) outlet.

Mine comes out in the same location as the stock exhaust.

It is louder than fairly stock, I just didn't know how to word it lol.

acurrier2012 08-16-2012 05:08 PM

Lol ya as long as it sounds good, I don't care. Just hoping someone had a pic to show me what it looked like.

jjshbetz11 08-16-2012 07:32 PM

If ya wheel it I would advise dumping it before the rear tire. It would be begging to get bent or ripped off.

sent from a flat black thingie

david92xj 08-16-2012 07:32 PM

What are you trying to see exactly? A muffler is a muffler

jjshbetz11 08-16-2012 08:27 PM

Not exactly, different tones of aggression depending on price. The dynomax( think price on mine on a prev vehicle) was a turbo, super turbo? It gave a decent aggressive note at idle( made it sound cammed) and a lot of drone on the gas.

sent from a flat black thingie

acurrier2012 08-17-2012 10:45 AM

Many aftermarket mufflers are very different than stock mufflers. Look the same? Sometimes. Sound the same? Very rarely.

Im not looking for a picture of the muffler itself, i have that sitting in my jeep. Im looking for a picture of the exhaust system. A jeep's exhaust is much "shorter" than say a truck exhaust.

In order to dump the exhaust out in front of the rear tire, the angle of the pipe coming out of the muffler would have to be very sharp, almost at a 90 degree angle.

Thats what im trying to avoid. Id like to see a picture of an exhaust that has been modified so it is possible to dump the exhaust out the side, without that 90 degree angle.

jeepkid03 08-17-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acurrier2012 (Post 14035045)
Many aftermarket mufflers are very different than stock mufflers. Look the same? Sometimes. Sound the same? Very rarely.

Im not looking for a picture of the muffler itself, i have that sitting in my jeep. Im looking for a picture of the exhaust system. A jeep's exhaust is much "shorter" than say a truck exhaust.

In order to dump the exhaust out in front of the rear tire, the angle of the pipe coming out of the muffler would have to be very sharp, almost at a 90 degree angle.

Thats what im trying to avoid. Id like to see a picture of an exhaust that has been modified so it is possible to dump the exhaust out the side, without that 90 degree angle.

Any reason for wanting to dump it out the side? That will be very tough to do and in some states is illegal. I know in CT the exhaust has to dump out after the rear most passenger occupied area. Which means using a tailpipe on an SUV, or a turndown after the cab on a truck. The Dynomax measures 23" or so, and when you have it behind the stock cat you have very little room for a 90 degree pipe. A shorter muffler like a Flowmaster or Thrush Welded would make this easier to accomplish.

acurrier2012 08-17-2012 12:08 PM

Dumping it out the side is just something i do with my exhausts. Dont ask me why i guess.. lol. I live in Maine, so it isnt illegal. You are correct, its going to be exrtemely hard/close to bend that pipe to go out the side. In fact, it may even be nearly impossible.

I have seen a couple pictures on Google of exhausts coming out the side. So, i know its possible. But what i dont know is what muffler they had on at the time. I was just hoping someone on here had already done this and could show me a picture.

the_weirdo 08-17-2012 12:12 PM

I have the Dynomax and have a turndown just after the muffler. the pipe comes down just a few inches in front of the rear axle. I don't think you'll be able to get it out the side without using a much shorter muffler.

acurrier2012 08-17-2012 12:51 PM

Did you do any modifications though? As in cutting the exhaust system shorter, and taking out the "cat" that comes just in front of the stock muffler?

acurrier2012 08-20-2012 05:08 PM

Well I figured out, it is possible. I now have a single in-single out Dynomax muffler, coming out the side to a 4 inch tip. Sounds pretty good.

I can post pics if anybody out there is interested.

The time now is 03:56 PM.