DurfXJ 1999 AX15 Sport Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > DurfXJ 1999 AX15 Sport Build

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 03-28-2009, 09:10 AM   #1
durfXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

DurfXJ 1999 AX15 Sport Build

I decided to make a build thread to document my Jeep.
1999 Sport
Forest Green Pearl Luggage Rack and Running Boards
AX-15
DANA 30
Chrysler 8.25
Power Windows

Bought the Jeep on March 7th 2009 with 100783 miles on it.

I noticed a small leak in front of the Transfer Case, first order of business was, Plugs, Wires, Cap, Rotor, Oil for trans and Transfer Case.
I started with 80/90w lucas gear oil, with trans leak in the trans. that was way to thick, to shift and it also eats the syncros i found out after I put it in.
2 days later i I drained the gear oil to use for the front diff later.

Filled trans with Penzsoil Syncromesh and Lucas Trans Stop Leak.

New Seats. Stock Sport Seats Suck
3-16-09

Replaced them with this Set of Recaros out od a Saturn Ion. they do not Bolt in and required about 4 hours of test fitting and making them work. i made brackets out od square stock and flat stock. These are the biggest improvement i could imagine, the ride is improved because i dont have to brace my self when cornering.Seat Install thread

I painted the side trim with plastic rust oleum paint matt black.

3/23/09
Now I found my leak it is in the gusset for the mount on the trans. no sealer or anything else will fix it. I drained the trans and JB welded the case, i stopped 75% of the leak, so i am going to redo it. I also have a spare AX15 that i will use if I have to. but since the trans shifts fine I will try to fix it once more. With a putty instead of JB Weld.

you can see the patch i tried.

3/27/09 Tires
I found a set of BFG ATs on craigslist for cheap, so i ponced and put them on the stock rims. 30x9.5x15 60% tread left

Last edited by durfXJ; 07-28-2009 at 07:35 AM..
durfXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2009, 10:00 AM   #2
89SAFARIXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Looks nice! good luck on the tranny fix hope it works well so you dont have to use the spare yet. how much were those recaro seats btw? those things are AWESOME. do they have a recaro rear bench seat as well so you could have matching seats? lol. 3700 for a 99 with only 100,000 i tihnk is not shabby at all. what are your plans? gonna lift it?

-Sean
Unread 03-28-2009, 10:10 AM   #3
4pointOH1998
2013 JK Wrangler 

Pretty good start. Tell me you're going to ditch the running boards please
4pointOH1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2009, 10:15 AM   #4
89SAFARIXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

lol yeah... please. atleast take it on a trail and get rid of them the cool way by tearing them off. lol

-Sean
Unread 03-28-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
durfXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

the best part about those running boards is that the support square stock has rusted off completely, the end caps are the only part that is attached i mean the fiberglass may flex to the ground.

but my wife would like some type of step when it gets lifted. I'm looking for something. rock guard with a step maybe.

Last edited by durfXJ; 04-02-2009 at 06:10 PM..
Unread 03-30-2009, 07:34 AM   #6
durfXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

As of right now the JB weld fixed the transmission leak. and I removed one of the running boards.
Unread 03-30-2009, 08:04 AM   #7
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Look into AJ's Offroad Armor for the rock sliders, she'd be more than willing to pay for those if you tell her they are for her, and they make the Cherokee even safer! That way she's happy and you get the benefit of having the best rock sliders out!

nrpalmer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2009, 03:46 PM   #8
durfXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Todays update
1. Autopal H4 Headlight upgrade installed- easy mod with Euro Beam Pattern. eBay $45

2. Removed other Running Board

3. Filled Hood Ornament Mounting Hole with JB weld then touch up paint. Seemed to cause Serpentine Belt to slip after raining.

Transmission is fixed.
JB Weld is Holding, No Leaks.

Waiting for shackle/Spacer Lift kit to arrive. This will be a temporary Lift until i decide which lift to go with. My friend has the Rough Country and really likes it. I was thinking of doing that with OME shocks, have not made up my mind just yet.

Last edited by durfXJ; 04-02-2009 at 06:16 PM..
Unread 04-02-2009, 06:39 PM   #9
cperalta1
2006 WK 

Nice!
cperalta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2009, 06:54 PM   #10
99Greenmachine
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Lovin the GREEN '99 XJ Sport!!!

Represent haha

Thank You Hooligan!!!

[SIZE="4"]XJ Dana 44, Yukon 4.56 D44 Gears, LeBaron hood vents for sale
99Greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2009, 05:39 AM   #11
durfXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Friday Night
1.5 Shackle/Spacer Lift Installed on stock shocks

I will post pics later but the rear was easier than the front. and the rear was not fun.

couple quick tips
stack shackles are small and look weak.

I had so much corrosion built up inside the bushing that the bolt would not go through past the threads, the easy fix was to cut the head off the bolt with a angle grinder and that sped every thing up.
I also used a bottle jack to locate the spring for the install that made it a lot easier than when i did shackles on my wrangler.

the front was tough but not horrible. after seeing the idea to use the bottle jack to press the axle away from the frame i was able to get clearance to remove the spring, and set the new spacer in.

over all the lift did as advertised

rear went from 17- 18.25-18.5 and front was at 19+

I did break my sway bar end link, I ordered a replacement today. overall it looks like it should have from Toledo.

Last edited by durfXJ; 04-05-2009 at 12:45 PM..
Unread 04-04-2009, 07:24 AM   #12
88XJSport
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Nice build. Those Ion Redline seats are comfy as hell.
88XJSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2009, 01:04 PM   #13
durfXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

iI ordered Rough Country Sway Bar Disconnects- should be here this week, I broke the drivers side endlink when i thought i could un bolt it. so yeah upgrades.

the jeep drives like a boat with out the front sway bar connected.
Unread 04-16-2009, 07:10 PM   #14
durfXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Update, went on a Jeep Run on Sat the 11. So i realized a couple things this jeep is a billy goat and earned the name Jake. also earned a couple scars. the Rocker under the pass rear door was hit by a rock. a couple new pin stripes. The biggest Scar is on the crossmember, pushed up 2" into the floor plan causing the Transfer Case to hit the the Floor when shifting.

so I made a Call to Rusty's and ordered their
replacement Crossmember with 1" TC drop
4.5 Coils
3" AAL
and their HD Track Bar with support bracket.

I also made a Call to 4x4groupbuy and
put in a order for 4 OME Long travel Shocks
extended brake lines and tow hooks.
will post pics when every thing comes in.

here is a video of a small water crossing.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtICskElg7Q
Unread 04-29-2009, 06:08 PM   #15
durfXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ok a little update

1st OME long travel XJ shock are mythical, in fact 4-6 weeks shipping with none on order, so that made me rethink my plan.

I found a used set 2.5" ome set up on the classified section. included shocks, coils and new leaf packs, (shipping leaf packs is too expensive to make it worth while. $64 each side)

went to take off the the stock leaf packs and realized how rusted the forward spring mount is. If I would have put more torque on the bolt my breaker bar(with super special 3' jack handle extension) or the rusted bolt head would have snapped like every other bolt under my Jeep.

so i got creative, I took apart the stock leaf pack and used the OME pack with out the main spring to support the stock main leaf. and once on the ground it sits at 20.5 rear hub to fender. so 3.5"

i have a 3.5 rusty's aal that i did not use and the factory leaf pack mostly well used. i want another inch out of it. and i all ready have shackles. i might take out the OME first spring and add the 3.5" leaf and move the shackle to the .75" lift

Shock Mounts- Upper rusted bolts, broke with out much regard for my patience. I remembered reading that a Bar Pin eliminator could be made from the rear sway bar mounts. so i took off the rear sway bar, broke the mounts free. and then looked at my OME shocks. the bar pin is part of the bushing so it would all have to come out as one piece. so i took out the angle grinder and cut off one of the bar ends, to my surprise there was a perfect bore inside to hold a grade 8 bolt. i was quite pleased and headed down the road to the muffler shop and had them weld in the "new" Bar pin eliminators.

So now I have a nice rake on the jeep, 20.5 in the rear and 19 in the front. Tomorrow I will do the front end.

im not sure what combo of spring and spacer i will go with i have
ome springs, 2.5"
Rusty's 4.5"
rough country 1.75 spacer.
stock mount.

right now im thinking rough country spacer no factory mount and the ome spring, but if that is close to 4" I'll go with the 4.5" spring and stock mount.

bar pin elims on order for the front.
and a 4" track bar set up

any ideas on this set up. so far the rear rides pretty nice a bit stiffer than it did with the factory springs and shocks.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.