Dull Horn Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Dull Horn Problem

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 10-13-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
JRS0428
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Dull Horn Problem

The battery in my XJ seems fine but the horn when i lock the doors, press the panic button and use the horn in the steering wheel all sound very dull and weak. Something isnt right? any ideas? Thanks.

Unread 10-13-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
Lupitaboy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

You have two horns, one in each corner pocket at the front and they toot at different pitches to combine into that rather downscale sound they produce to keep us safe from harm. Often, one or both of the wires attached to one or the other of these units comes loose leaving only the one horn blaring rather weakly. If both wires are securely attached, then it usually is a loose ground wire since the power travels to the horn and then uses the xj body as the complete circuit, thereby requiring a ground to the body to allow it to work. If none of the above, then one of your horns has been stolen or is deceased.
Unread 10-13-2009, 07:13 PM   #3
amw_drizz
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Yup I had that issue on one of my diesels Could barely hear the horn over it running. When I put new batteries in the truck I noticed one of the horns was disconnected. Reconnected it and wham it just became the loudest horn in the yard.
Unread 10-13-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
Rural-Assault
1998 XJ Cherokee 

i had mud in my horn and you could hardly hear it. Try checking to see if it has mud clogged in it.

•—My cheap paint job —•
Rural-Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2009, 09:08 PM   #5
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

I just said, "Screw it" and unplugged the stock horns. There's a nice set of Fiamm air horns under there now. As soon as I get the proper solenoid valve they'll be hooked into my onboard air system.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2009, 11:07 PM   #6
JRS0428
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_D View Post
I just said, "Screw it" and unplugged the stock horns. There's a nice set of Fiamm air horns under there now. As soon as I get the proper solenoid valve they'll be hooked into my onboard air system.
i'd love that but im 16 and until i find a job im not going to be able to do anything to my XJ
Unread 10-13-2009, 11:08 PM   #7
JRS0428
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amw_drizz View Post
Yup I had that issue on one of my diesels Could barely hear the horn over it running. When I put new batteries in the truck I noticed one of the horns was disconnected. Reconnected it and wham it just became the loudest horn in the yard.
thats most likely what happened, tommorrow ill have to check and see, thanks

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.