dual exhaust 4.0 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > dual exhaust 4.0

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 12-19-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
1moneypitt
1991 XJ Cherokee 

dual exhaust 4.0

Has any one done this? i think it would sound supper chunky if it was split 3 into one and 3 into another. run them all the way out that way. if you have do you have pictures/ audio of this?

1moneypitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
jeg57
2002 WJ 

ive seen a few wranglers with it done. Never a cherokee. It might have somewhat of a power issue if you use the 3 inch pipe.
jeg57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
austin6137
1990 XJ Cherokee 

If they did it would most likey sound like crap
90 - xj laredo- 4.5" rough country lift, 6.5" of total lift with drop brackets, zj disc brakes on c8.25, olympic winch bumper, jcr upper and lower quarter armor, IRO hack-n-tap and rock sliders and rear bumper. rugged ridge 8500lb winch. Spartan locker up front. With a jd yellow paint job, 97+ front end and bushwacker cut out flares. 35's
austin6137 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
BeepBeepGoJeep
1994 XJ Cherokee 

i dont think duals are for a cherokee, at all, they dont make very good power that way and its hard to route, i believe they also sound a bit ricey with duals
Unread 12-19-2010, 06:28 PM   #5
1moneypitt
1991 XJ Cherokee 

not saying 3 inch pipe. just from the manifold running say cylinders 2,4,6 into one side of duals and 1,3,5 into the other side.
Unread 12-19-2010, 06:29 PM   #6
austin6137
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I think he means 3 cylinders on one pipe 3 on the other
90 - xj laredo- 4.5" rough country lift, 6.5" of total lift with drop brackets, zj disc brakes on c8.25, olympic winch bumper, jcr upper and lower quarter armor, IRO hack-n-tap and rock sliders and rear bumper. rugged ridge 8500lb winch. Spartan locker up front. With a jd yellow paint job, 97+ front end and bushwacker cut out flares. 35's
Unread 12-19-2010, 06:31 PM   #7
1moneypitt
1991 XJ Cherokee 

^^^ exactly
Unread 12-19-2010, 06:58 PM   #8
austin6137
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Something like this would work. I think banks makes it, they include a y pipe but it's a start
0810_4wd_05_z-jeep_wrangler_cherokee_header_intake_install-header_installed.jpg  
Unread 12-19-2010, 07:26 PM   #9
1moneypitt
1991 XJ Cherokee 

thanks! thats exactly what im looking for. drop the y pipe and if i could fit it all the way keep them dueled!
Unread 03-11-2011, 07:24 PM   #10
63FI
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Yea, maybe dual?

OK guys here I go. It's a '90 Cherokee I call my beater. Has 200K+ on it.
My stock exhaust was pretty well rotted out from the cat back, so it was pretty much like open exhaust after the cat. My gas mileage was very good for this car though. ( I have 3 others that suck on mpg) I got never less that 22 and as high as 28 on a trip keeping at or under 60mph. OK, now I decided to re-join society and put on a muffler and make it blend with everyone else. Bought a turbo muffler and pipes so it sounds like it should. It sounds OK but now my mileage is mostly 17 and never more than 20mpg.
OK, so Why am I on here telling you this? I thought dual exhaust would be all over here for the increased mpg and possible power increase. Looks like nobody really tried duals? Has anyone done a before and after mpg after doing exhaust mods? I'll tell you, I like my Jeeps but HATE getting ripped off every time I go to the gas station, so I'm interested in trying something to battle the 4/gal that is not too far off. Anyone tried anything?
63FI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2011, 01:26 AM   #11
xj_army
1999 XJ Cherokee 

duals wont really do nothing for u. The bigger the pipe the better high end power and loss of low end torque which IMO is where you need it in a jeep.
xj_army is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2011, 02:40 AM   #12
Dbiked
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I've read somewhere on here that with the 4.0, If you Dule pipe it, it could cause some kind of back pressure issue that could effect it negatively in some way. Sorry for the exeptional vaugness of this post. I'll go look for the thread to find out exactly what it said.

Its funny, I've seen this thought come up a couple of times on here, and for one reason or anouther it gets shot down fairly quick, i think this is the longest i've seen a thread on this subject stay so positive.
Utah jeep crew member #32
Dbiked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2011, 02:48 AM   #13
Dbiked
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Here we go. Check this out there are some of the negatives in there. Just to play devils advocate for a bit.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2165

Just thought of another issue. What would you do about your O2 Sensors? It just doesn's seem worth it. Again, Just being the devils advocate, not trying to compleatly shoot you down here.
Utah jeep crew member #32
Dbiked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.