Dual Battery w/ battery in the trunk - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Dual Battery w/ battery in the trunk

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-08-2008, 09:23 AM   #1
laxsmith23
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Dual Battery w/ battery in the trunk

So I done some searches and found plenty of threads on dual batteries but i want to run duals with a snorkel that needs the stock airbox so i was thinking about putting the battery in the trunk. I found this setup:

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoBatteryDual.htm

I like it but i wanted to know what you guys think. I would fab up a box and mount it in the corner that the spare used to be in but would there be a problem with ampage because of the long cables or would it be fine. I would install the 12v guys dual battery + winch switch so there would be a lot of wire and I was thinking that there may be a problem with that. what do you guys think?

laxsmith23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 04:11 PM   #2
jwarfield
1995 ZJ 

I don't think there will be a problem with the location, just make sure you use big enough wire. I've relocated batteries in several vehicles including 4WD's and SCCA race cars with no problem. First, use a brand new battery, you don't want any nasty fumes in the cabin of your rig. Second, use 4 gauge wire, you can pick it up pretty cheap at a welding supply store for a lot less than you might think. I think I paid something like .60 cents a foot, plus when you get welding wire its a lot more flexible so you can jam it around corners and in tight places. I can't stress safety enough, make sure you mount the batt. box securely and about once a month inspect the battery to make sure there are no leaks in the cabin.

Good luck!

92 XJ-Toy
95 ZJ-Daily Driver (bad on gas)
09 Genuine Roughhouse 50 scooter-Daily Driver (good on gas)
jwarfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 04:57 PM   #3
laxsmith23
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwarfield View Post
I don't think there will be a problem with the location, just make sure you use big enough wire. I've relocated batteries in several vehicles including 4WD's and SCCA race cars with no problem. First, use a brand new battery, you don't want any nasty fumes in the cabin of your rig. Second, use 4 gauge wire, you can pick it up pretty cheap at a welding supply store for a lot less than you might think. I think I paid something like .60 cents a foot, plus when you get welding wire its a lot more flexible so you can jam it around corners and in tight places. I can't stress safety enough, make sure you mount the batt. box securely and about once a month inspect the battery to make sure there are no leaks in the cabin.

Good luck!

Yea. i plain on mounting the box to the side mount for the spare and the bottom mount for the spare with a storage area in it. but where it doesnt take up any more room then the spare. But thanks. I think that I might even use 2 gauge but ill be taking a trip to my local steal place for the wire. thanks
laxsmith23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.