Drum brakes Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Drum brakes Help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 08-27-2011, 10:44 PM   #1
unistar
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Drum brakes Help

I replaced my brake shoes a while ago and it was my first time doing drum brakes. I learned what I could here then went at them. I thought it went pretty good up until today. I took the drums off today to find a nice gouge down the middle of both my brake drums, about 1/8" wide and 1/16" deep. I figured out that it was my adjuster lever digging into the drum. It looks like it all hooked up right to me except that the adjuster cable is too long. There is a spring that pulls it down but the cable doesn't pull it up at all. Did i do something wrong, or are the parts just worn out? also are the drums and shoes shot or can I still use them?

unistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 12:15 AM   #2
bob6987
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It looks like the adjuster guide (arched guide on left) is in the wrong spot..it should almost be touching the back of the shoe on the left
Unread 08-28-2011, 09:27 AM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have found that brake parts vary in their quality and fit. Usually cheap parts are cheap for a reason. I buy my parts at NAPA and always get the best quality parts they have. Compare the new adjuster cable to length to the one you have now.

Buy a brake kit with new parts and springs and re-do your brakes.

The self-adjuster lever spring should pull the adjuster into the star wheel.

You should be able to re-use the drums and brake shoes. If you think they are ruined, buy new ones.

brake-diagram.jpg   1q.jpg  

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 01:30 PM   #4
unistar
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I think I will try to move the adjuster guide, and if that doesn't work I'll replace the parts.
Unread 09-04-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
unistar
2001 XJ Cherokee 

So I got it back together with all new springs and whatnot and the drivers side worked just fine but the other side is still weird. The adjuster lever starts touching the star wheel but after it is adjusted it doesn't touch anymore.
Unread 09-04-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

The usual problem is with the adjuster cable guide not seating properly. There is a protrusion on the guide that needs to fit into the hole in the shoe. Otherwise, it just hangs on the spring, out of position. That leaves slack in the cable.

Plus, it looks like you have the cable spring guide backwards on the adjuster lever.
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 09:14 PM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangofox007 View Post
....it looks like you have the cable spring guide backwards on the adjuster lever.
Good eye tangofox.

The cable adjuster goes on the front of the adjuster level like in my picture.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #8
unistar
2001 XJ Cherokee 

That was it. Spot on tangofox. thanks a lot for the help.

Tags
brakes , drum , drum brake , drums

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.