Drop Bracket Install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Drop Bracket Install

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 07-17-2008, 10:47 PM   #1
btfury
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Drop Bracket Install

I'll be installing drop brackets on the XJ tomorrow, and was just wondering how much time I should allot... Obviously it's different for everyone, just wanted to get a general idea. I'm guessing a couple hours?

Silver 2000 XJ Classic, NP 231, D30/Aussie, Chrysler 8.25, C4x4 Tow Hook Brackets, Optima Yellow Top, RE 4.5in SF and RE CA Drop Brackets, 32x11.5 BFG MT, RE HD Adj Trac Bar, OMEs, SYE and front DS, C-Rok Steering Brace, AJs Superrails, Precision 4.56s
btfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2008, 11:20 PM   #2
the_weirdo
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I spent 4 hours on it, but I also added spacers and UCA's. I also had to run to the hardware store. I would think you can probably do it in 2.5-3hrs max.
the_weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2008, 09:37 PM   #3
btfury
2000 XJ Cherokee 

this is probably common sense, but I tend to lack that sometimes... I'm finally getting around to starting the install on my drop brackets. My questions is this: The RE instructions call for the vehicle to be supported by the frame. Can I not just leave one tire on, take the other off, support that side using a jackstand under the axle, and install the DBs one side at a time like that? am i missing something?
Silver 2000 XJ Classic, NP 231, D30/Aussie, Chrysler 8.25, C4x4 Tow Hook Brackets, Optima Yellow Top, RE 4.5in SF and RE CA Drop Brackets, 32x11.5 BFG MT, RE HD Adj Trac Bar, OMEs, SYE and front DS, C-Rok Steering Brace, AJs Superrails, Precision 4.56s
Unread 07-19-2008, 10:20 PM   #4
gijazbo
1996 XJ Cherokee 

just do it from the frame it will make it easier to line the holes back up and move the axel around.....is the problem that you dont have jack stands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysEdition04 View Post
After reading 7-8 of your posts I've come to the conclusion that you may be mentally retarded, which is why I won't ask what "brain guts" are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb0217;
I live with in an hour of the coast so getting sea foam is easy, but isnt the salt bad for the fuel system??? and how about the people that live farther away can you just foam up water and sea salt ??? if so what kind of mix do I use ??? 1table spoon to a gal of water??? and then how do I "foam it up" mabe a little soap????
My build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/9...29/index2.html
gijazbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2008, 07:12 PM   #5
btfury
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I got it figured out. I do have another question, however... I don't have the braces yet, but will I be fine driving around without them (no wheelin or anything...)?
Unread 07-20-2008, 07:25 PM   #6
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

as long as you have the lower arms connected in the stock location and your front end is aligned you'll be fine driving it on the road.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2008, 09:26 PM   #7
btfury
2000 XJ Cherokee 

... wait a minute... so basically I can't install the drop brackets without the braces? How would I be fine driving around with the Drop Brackets if I have to put the lower arms in the stock location?
Unread 07-20-2008, 09:45 PM   #8
chance_p
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by btfury View Post
... wait a minute... so basically I can't install the drop brackets without the braces?

I wouldn't do it.
Unread 07-20-2008, 10:19 PM   #9
btfury
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Really? why do they sell the DBs separately from the brackets then?
Unread 07-21-2008, 09:36 AM   #10
Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
Vendor

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Really? why do they sell the DBs separately from the brackets then?
That's exactly why I only listed them together on our site for a long time. MJs have reinforcement bracketry around the LCA mounts from the factory, so they won't need (and can't use) the DB braces, so that's one reason why the DBs would be listed separately.

Driving around town for a bit you'll probably be OK without the braces (I'd certainly try to get them installed ASAP though). TrailMaster's original DB design never included braces, though they did develop a reputation for eventually tearing LCA mounts off.

Not sure if you've seen these yet or not, but here's photos from when I installed the RE DBs on my rig:

http://jeepin.net/fotos/installs/rexjxd?g2_page=3
'00 TJ, SOLD, wife's, RE 4.5" long-arm, 35" MT/Rs, D30+OX, D44+ARB, 4.88s, full cage, winch, C4x4 & Jeeperman bumpers, etc, etc.

Jason, aka: Jeepin.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2008, 03:51 PM   #11
btfury
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason, aka: Jeepin.com View Post
That's exactly why I only listed them together on our site for a long time. MJs have reinforcement bracketry around the LCA mounts from the factory, so they won't need (and can't use) the DB braces, so that's one reason why the DBs would be listed separately.

Driving around town for a bit you'll probably be OK without the braces (I'd certainly try to get them installed ASAP though). TrailMaster's original DB design never included braces, though they did develop a reputation for eventually tearing LCA mounts off.

Not sure if you've seen these yet or not, but here's photos from when I installed the RE DBs on my rig:

http://jeepin.net/fotos/installs/rexjxd?g2_page=3
Thanks for the input, Jason. Yeah, I really wish I could install the braces, as well.. But unfortunately they're not here yet, and I've got to drive the Jeep tomorrow and I already started installing the DBs, so its not like I can go back (already drilled out the UCA mount).

Hopefully I'll be alright on the highway...
Unread 07-21-2008, 04:15 PM   #12
btfury
2000 XJ Cherokee 

For the record, I just spoke to RE, and they said I would be fine driving on the street and even light wheeling without the braces.
Unread 07-21-2008, 04:32 PM   #13
btfury
2000 XJ Cherokee 

anybody know torque specs for control arms?
Unread 07-21-2008, 05:29 PM   #14
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
... wait a minute... so basically I can't install the drop brackets without the braces? How would I be fine driving around with the Drop Brackets if I have to put the lower arms in the stock location?
sorry, I just reread your post. I initally thought you said the drop BRACKETS weren't there yet and that you were asking if driving with the stock mounts would be okay with your lift. I must have been half asleep, when I read your post.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2008, 05:30 PM   #15
btfury
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Also, what's the best way to get the control arms to mount back up... If I unbolt the other lca and leave the other uca on, will it be easier to get the side im working on to mount up?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.