Driveshaft-extended yoke-SYE - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Driveshaft-extended yoke-SYE

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-02-2005, 09:25 PM   #1
xj89

Driveshaft-extended yoke-SYE

Hey guys i was wondering, i know the best thing to do is get a slip yoke eliminator for vibes but when i was looking around on RE's site i found a extended yoke (ill leave the link on botom of page), im not quite sure if i could use that in place of a SYE, but im only going to maximum 5 inches of lift. would i be able to lower T-case, shim the rear axle and use that extended yoke, and eliminate vibes?

Link: http://www.rubiconexpress.com/dynami...p?folderid=234

im looking at the top item, any help is greatly apreciated guys

xj89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2005, 09:30 PM   #2
SpikeSpeigel

If it would work, and I'm not sure, it would only mask the problems. I can't imagine it would work with 5 inches of lift, that's quite a bit. Do it right the first time and you won't have to worry later.
[SIZE=1]RE 5.5" front coils, TNT Customs Y-link radius arm kit, S-10 rear leaves, RE .75" shackles, ORO u-turn steering, SYE/CV driveshaft, YJ brake lines, 33" BFG MT's, K&N drop-in, Flowmaster 40 series, Tow hooks, Trimmed fenders, M.O.R.E. motor mounts, TNT Customs frame stiffeners, RE HD trackbar/mount, Autometer Trans temp gauge w/ pillar pod
[/SIZE]
"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken!!"
[CENTER]-Tyler Durden[/CENTER]
SpikeSpeigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2005, 10:28 PM   #3
atfrith

Ya i thought about doing that too for a little bit. But then i started thinking, and im pretty sure it will only keep your driveshaft from falling out as soon as it would with the stock one and 5" of lift. I don't think it will do anything as far as the vibes go. I could be wrong though... The t-case drop will probably lower the vibes and possibly eliminate them, but as everyeone else will tell you, with that much lift or any lift for that matter, the right way to do it is the SYE, CV shaft.
Rusty's Air Tube and K&N Filter
Dynomax Cat-Back
Cobra 19Gtl CB Radio w/PA system
2 Cheapo Baja Driving Lights mounted on front bumper
3" Rusty Coils up front, 3.5" RE leaf springs in the rear
31" Dunlop Mud Rovers on 15x8 Cragar Soft 8's
[COLOR=red]Under 21 XJ CLUB member #9[/COLOR]
Hondas Are Like Tampons...Every Pu**y Has One
atfrith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2005, 11:07 PM   #4
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

No the extended yoke is not a substitute for a SYE. It may prevent some binding of the u-joints but thats about it. If you are going to spend any money at all, it should be towards a SYE in my opinion.

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2005, 06:59 AM   #5
xj89

i know utimetly the best thing to do is get the SYE, but i honestly have no idea in the world how to install the damn thing. Money is realy tight and i dont think i can afford to bring it to a shop and have them do it. What about just buying a longer driveshaft, would that work...? im just lookign for any other alternatives
Unread 05-03-2005, 07:40 AM   #6
jgai11bb

What year cherokee are we talking about maybe you said and I missed it. Are you at 5'' right now or are you planning this? Why not set aside money for the time being and get a sye and cv shaft, they can be had for 450-500 all depends on which one. I assume if you are going to 5'' then why not put off the lift till you can afford it. Also don't waste your money at a shop for stuff you can do yourself.
Here is a link for doing a hack n' tap to pre 95.

http://www.4x4getaways.com/oldmansye.htm

Here is an sye for 169.99 shipped I believe

http://www.performanceoffroadcenter....b065ca33c13a4f

EDIT: ask around there are usually guys in your area that would help you for a case of beer. Just ask around.
Unread 05-03-2005, 07:46 AM   #7
XJH-007

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj89
i know utimetly the best thing to do is get the SYE, but i honestly have no idea in the world how to install the damn thing. Money is realy tight and i dont think i can afford to bring it to a shop and have them do it. What about just buying a longer driveshaft, would that work...? im just lookign for any other alternatives

You could get away with it. I ran my stock 231 with no SYE and 6" of lift for a full year of daily driving and wheeling. I too had no extra $$$ to throw on an SYE/Custom D shaft.

All you'll really have to do is try to best match your T-case angle to your pinion angle. I also had a custom (Rusty's) T-case drop skid, dropping my T-case 1", ALONG with another 1" Drop kit. You may not need the extra 1" drop with 5". Your best bet for that lift is an RE 4.5", great ride.

Depending on how much you wheel you'll notice that you eat up that top driveshaft U-joint every 6months or so. I also NEVER had a problem with the stock Slip Yoke....other than replacing the seal every year. While you are driving this setup, keep your eye out for a T-case with an SYE already on it, they can be found for $200-$300. Then all you need is a driveshaft. Here in Denver I had one made, H.D. SYE for $215.00, with U-joints.

Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2005, 12:48 PM   #8
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

The exteded yoke is a BAD idea. It won't cure any drive line angles at all. It just adds about 1/2" to the yoke inside the housing. That extra length will also put MORE leverage on the output shaft.

If money is tight, then I would suggest you at LEAST get a CV/slip yoke DS. It's still not the best idea, and you will HAVE to bump stop the rear. I mean bump stop it the correct way too. Like the DPG extentions on the leaf plate. If you don't and the rear ever squats, you'll more than likely tweek the DS and the TC case.

You'll also want to buy a rear case plug in case the DS does ever bite it and you have to drive out in front wheel drive.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2005, 04:04 PM   #9
atfrith

They make plugs for the rear slip yoke? My rear pinion yoke snapped the other day and i pulled the shaft and drove home in front wheel drive but to compensate for the hole in the t-case i just rubberbanded a zip lock baggie around the tail of it to catch what fluid came out, haha.worked just fine for a day and then i fixed the yoke.
Rusty's Air Tube and K&N Filter
Dynomax Cat-Back
Cobra 19Gtl CB Radio w/PA system
2 Cheapo Baja Driving Lights mounted on front bumper
3" Rusty Coils up front, 3.5" RE leaf springs in the rear
31" Dunlop Mud Rovers on 15x8 Cragar Soft 8's
[COLOR=red]Under 21 XJ CLUB member #9[/COLOR]
Hondas Are Like Tampons...Every Pu**y Has One
atfrith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2005, 06:50 PM   #10
isezumi00

If money is tight get a double cardon joint built, install it on your rear shaft. It should help compensate for both the difference in drive shaft length and the increased output angles...shim the rear until it plays out smoothly.

It doesnt HAVE to be as expensive as an SYE and new driveshaft.
isezumi00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2005, 07:32 PM   #11
Cosmonut

How long can you get with out an sye on a 3 inch lift?
Green Jeep Club Member #133
Cosmonut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2005, 07:53 PM   #12
xj89

ok guys that was actually my next question could i usea double carion shaft withouta slip yoke, and would that work if i used 6* shims? and dropepd T case witha crossmeber drop and a normal t case drop...so for all the question i just really dont know much about drivetrain its not really my specialty
Unread 05-03-2005, 09:14 PM   #13
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I think first you should do some reading about the importance of a SYE. Try a search for "yoke" or SYE* (since 3 letter searches don't work).

Then if you still don't have the money to do it right, how can you afford to do it wrong by having other driveshafts built ($$$) just as a band-aid fix? The cheapest band-aid is the transfer case drop, but I wouldn't do more than 1" (personal opinion) and call it good until you save the money for an SYE.

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2005, 09:20 PM   #14
xj89

GRRR i know u guys are all right in what ur saying but its so hard to bring myself to spend that kinda money evan though i know in the long run it will be worth it. Im really just concered about doing it becasue i really dont havea clue when it comes to trans and t-case. im openinga power washing business this summer so not saying i have money is kinda bs well at the moment i dont but u get what im saying, it really just comes down to getting it and not having any idea of how to install it. im sure some of u guys have installed one could u tell me the dificulty leval, would sum1 with minor experience be able to do it. Im looking into a package from tom woods custom shafts which includes the double cardion DS with a HD SYE for 500 bucks. anyone have experience with it, and how hard was the instal?
Unread 05-03-2005, 09:30 PM   #15
Marsquatch

I'm gonna do my own SYE install with or without help. I figure to keep the TC under the jeep during the install. How hard can it be? I've seen a few websites with pictures, so I'll give it a go.

http://jeeps.barsmar.com
Marsquatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.