Drivers side front wheel making awful squeaking/chirping sound... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Drivers side front wheel making awful squeaking/chirping sound...

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 04-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
Yojimbo

Drivers side front wheel making awful squeaking/chirping sound...

I need help diagnosing a sqealing/chirping shoud coming from the drivers side wheel on my 92 XJ Laredo.

At first I was thinking I just needed to swap out the hub/bearing assembly but after doing some research I found that it could be a number of things.

Before I spend a bunch of money on parts and tools does anyone have a good run down of things to check so I can determine the issue and fix the right thing?

Some background on this issue - I first noticed it after I had the drivers side sway bar link break. After I replaced the swaybar links I still kept hearing the sound. I did notice that the sound went away on a rainy day but came back after things dried up.

I have checked the serpentine belt and it does not appear to be the issue. The sounds starts at low speeds and seems to happen intermittently. It also seems to happen as I accelerate and sometimes goes away when I let go of the gas.

As I mentioned above it is coming from the driver side front wheel and makes a sqeaking/chirping sound like a very loud bird.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
steelers1993

could be the hub, had too change mine out a year ago but mine never made any noise tho but im sure they can..id check the brakes(pads,brake disk)and if you put on a new hub look at the axle when you put it on.
steelers1993 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Locate precisely the source of the noise. Unit/bearing hub, or axle u-joint, or drive shaft u-joint, or something else.

Google angry sparrows.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2012, 10:41 PM   #4
fordhartbreaker

Small chance it's the sway bar bushings mine were doin the same thing u just described 16 bucks and five mins later it went away
fordhartbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2012, 06:12 AM   #5
XJrauschic96

I'd say U-joint I had the same noise on bumps and turns
XJrauschic96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2012, 06:23 AM   #6
panamah_r3d
1993 XJ Cherokee 

You can check if it's your hub/bearing assembly easily. Jack up the front end, grab the tire at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock position and see if you can wiggle the tire back and forth.

If it does it's more than likely your hub/bearing assembly. Mine made the same noise you're talking about when mine was bad.

Your brakes might get sloppy if it gets real bad, mine did at least but I also drove mine till the wheel damn near fell off ha.
!don't hug that tree...I'm about to run it over!
panamah_r3d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2012, 02:03 AM   #7
Ulver44

a rock stuck between dust shield and rotor can make that sound too
Ulver44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2012, 08:09 AM   #8
Pats94
2001 XJ Cherokee 

U joint... my vote. Had the same thing happen, twice both times it was the u joint. Pita but easy enough and doesn't cost much.
Unread 06-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #9
Naomi

Was wondering if u found the probelm. I just replace my caliper and drive shaft and the noise is still there and it doesnt do it in the rain.
Naomi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2014, 07:17 PM   #10
monicat

chirping noise answer??

It's been a year and no one knows? I am suffering the same issue with my 04 TJ
monicat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2014, 05:55 AM   #11
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Unless your Jeep is in their driveway, all anybody can do is give you a list of suggestions/possibilites for you to inspect for yourself.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.