Drivers side door lock not working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Drivers side door lock not working

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-25-2012, 01:08 AM   #1
justin2jeep
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Drivers side door lock not working

Hey, I'm new here. Grateful for the help that this site has already given me.

I have 2 problems that have been a real pain to figure out. I have a 99 xj sport 6 cylinder 4.0 liter.

1. when i press unlock from the drivers door nothing happens.

when i press lock from the drivers door, every door but the drivers door locks. From the passenger side i can lock and unlock every door except for the drivers door. no problems with any of the windows or speakers everything else works.

I have replaced the drivers door actuator (wasn't the issue), and the window/lock switch panel on the drivers door(didn't help either), which leaves me to believe that the problem must be with the wiring.

2. Like i said above, i cant get the drivers door lock actuator to lock or unlock electronically. (i can manually lock or unlock it.)

I know others have had problems with door locks for the 99 cherokee, and this one seems like it should be a pretty easy fix. Im just not sure where to start, and ive been trying to read into the subject enough to fix it myself without paying someone a lot of money to do it for me. Any help with getting the button on the panel to unlock all the doors, and make the actuator do what its supposed to for the drivers door would be awesome. Thanks

justin2jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2012, 06:50 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Buy a $6-18 volts ohms multi meter at the hardware store, home improvement store or the WalMart. Test the lock wires in your Jeep for continuity, and for 12 volts. Start in the driver’s door, and then move to the passenger door. Check the door lock switch, the door lock actuator and inside any wire plugs. Check the door wire plug just inside the jeep by the door hinges. You may need a helper to push the buttons for you. You may need to replace the passenger side lock switch.

Broken wires, chafed insulation, and failed wire splices in the door wire harness are common.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
justin2jeep
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks,

I checked voltage to make sure it was getting power to the wire harness at the kick panel, it was. I checked the ohms on all of the connectors and everything checked out. there must have been a pinch somewhere that i couldnt see. Ran two new wires, spliced them in just before the connectors and boom, power to the actuator and the door unlock. Thanks for the advise! Saturday project complete.
justin2jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
99 , cherokee , door lock , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.