Driver's Side Door Hinge Squeaks and Clicks! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Driver's Side Door Hinge Squeaks and Clicks!

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 03-27-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
Mihogan
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Driver's Side Door Hinge Squeaks and Clicks!

Hey guys. My driver's side door just started to squeak and click every time I open and shut it, and I know its nothing serious at all, but its very annoying! I tried spraying every hinge piece down with WD-40 with no luck, also tried replacing the pin with a few spares which also didnt work.

It sounds like the clicking and squeaking is coming from the left side of the hinge, somewhere inside the door (circled in red). But also, it sounds like some of the clicking might be from the pin (yellow) is hitting the top nut on the right side.

Do you guys have any ideas on how I can fix this annoying little problem?

Mihogan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2010, 09:04 PM   #2
Jeep89JV
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Grease, Its beginning to rust and covered in dirt.

The pic you showed is just to prevent your door from swinging all the way into your front fender and what not, grease that lightly but be sure you actually grease both door hinges.

[I][B]My Build Thread:[/B][/I][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/broke-kid-build-96-xj-1007038/[/url]

[B][I]New Mexico Driving Rules...[/I][/B][LIST][*]As a general rule, the vehicle most in need of a significant amount of bodywork (for which the driver is most likely uninsured) always has the right of way.[*]Never use directional signals when changing lanes. They only serve to give away your next move, causing most NM drivers to speed up and not let you in. In fact, use of directional signals within most large NM city limits is actual illegal.[*]NM law states that at least 50% of all paved surfaces within the state must be under construction at any one time. In all construction zones, at least half of the available lanes must be closed, regardless of whether any actual construction is be accomplished or not. Construction signs shall be regularly repositioned in order to warn drivers about upcoming lane closures immediately after they pass the last exit before traffic backups.
[*]Driving through constructions zones with upcoming lane closures is a popular game in NM. Itís called the "speed up and pass as many cars as you can, then see how close to the lane closure you can squeeze back into traffic before hitting any of the orange construction barrels" game.[/LIST]
Jeep89JV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2010, 09:13 PM   #3
aviat0r

I had a similar problem and replaced the entire part. The part of the mechanism inside the door had a pin or something sheared. Got the replacement from a pick and pull yard.
aviat0r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
Mihogan
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep89JV, the problem is is that the right hinge that needs greased is inside the door. How can I get into there?

And aviat0r, maybe I will buy a new piece, but I gotta find out how to get in there first
Unread 03-27-2010, 09:21 PM   #5
Jeep89JV
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Just grease it little by little on top of the hinge pin, followed by opening and closing the door repeatedly to work it in.

P/S just noticed your year and your hinges may be covered by a plastic piece which you can break off it you'd like. That can contribute to noises which grease wouldn't help for long.

[I][B]My Build Thread:[/B][/I][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/broke-kid-build-96-xj-1007038/[/url]

[B][I]New Mexico Driving Rules...[/I][/B][LIST][*]As a general rule, the vehicle most in need of a significant amount of bodywork (for which the driver is most likely uninsured) always has the right of way.[*]Never use directional signals when changing lanes. They only serve to give away your next move, causing most NM drivers to speed up and not let you in. In fact, use of directional signals within most large NM city limits is actual illegal.[*]NM law states that at least 50% of all paved surfaces within the state must be under construction at any one time. In all construction zones, at least half of the available lanes must be closed, regardless of whether any actual construction is be accomplished or not. Construction signs shall be regularly repositioned in order to warn drivers about upcoming lane closures immediately after they pass the last exit before traffic backups.
[*]Driving through constructions zones with upcoming lane closures is a popular game in NM. Itís called the "speed up and pass as many cars as you can, then see how close to the lane closure you can squeeze back into traffic before hitting any of the orange construction barrels" game.[/LIST]
Unread 03-27-2010, 09:24 PM   #6
TDHofstetter

AEROSOL WHITE LITHIUM grease.
TDHofstetter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2010, 09:27 PM   #7
Jeep89JV
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDHofstetter View Post
AEROSOL WHITE LITHIUM grease.
Never tried it, how long would you say it'd actually hold before having to re apply?

Unread 03-27-2010, 09:31 PM   #8
Mihogan
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I already sprayed WD-40 in there until it overflowed out haha, even opened the door like 20 times to try and work it in there, still makes that same sound. Any of you guys know on how to get inside there? Almost sounds like something is loose in there or broken even.
Unread 03-27-2010, 09:38 PM   #9
FairlanePhil
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep89JV View Post
Never tried it, how long would you say it'd actually hold before having to re apply?

This.

Lithium grease is water resistant and its what the factory uses for you window mechanisms. WD40 evaporates eventually

I just did this ti my wife's Ltd. apply some to the bar and work it back and forth. I used the tube kind but the spray will penetrate.

When your done go shoot some inside the guts of your hatch latch assembly

you will note a bump on the edge of that piece, it rides over a detent to keep the door at 1/2 open. That is the click.
Unread 03-27-2010, 09:42 PM   #10
Jeep89JV
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Good to hear I may have to pick up a can of it and start using it, I've been just using all purpose grease i use in my grease gun

Unread 03-27-2010, 09:43 PM   #11
Mihogan
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Ok dude I will try that tomorrow morning lol. Thanks for the help guys!
Unread 03-28-2010, 08:32 AM   #12
Mihogan
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Woke up today and put the lithium grease all over the hinge, the pin, and used a knife to jam it into the other side of the hinge inside the door. No luck. Kept clicking and squeaking as it normally has, so I kept opening and closing the door to try and work it in until the door pin shot out! literally, popped out and landed a few feet away. And for some reason, the hinge wasnt in line with where the pin should be, so I had to use pliers to pull it back in place. After all of that, I videotaped the noise so hopefully you guys can help me figure this out!

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/1534/0328001023.mp4

If worse comes to worse, I'm going to take it to a Jeep dealer 30 mins away. How much do you think theyed charge me to fix it? Would they even work on a Cherokee still?
Unread 03-28-2010, 09:31 AM   #13
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

You need a new door check assembly
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2010, 09:37 AM   #14
Trailrated99
2009 WK 

Mine does the same thing, it's super annoying
Trailrated99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2010, 09:51 AM   #15
BeepBeepGoJeep
1994 XJ Cherokee 

yea so does mine lol, ima check it out from the inside of the door when i put new speakers in, i used white grease and it helped a little bit, sometimes the noise comes from that pin jumping around causing the noise, my dad said something about putting a small screw down through the pin or something.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.