Driver side door "popping", need new restraining "bracket"? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Driver side door "popping", need new restraining "bracket"?

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!

Unread 09-30-2007, 07:51 PM   #1
19OlllllllO41
Jeep Addict

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Driver side door "popping", need new restraining "bracket"?

Anyone know if/where (exc the dealer) they sell new driver side door bracket thingies that are bolted to the body and have the little pin through them that operates the door tensioning/restraining thing? Sorry my terminology sucks, I dont know what to call them. But anyway, my little piece has its hole rounded out from too much use over the years (i know that sounds funny) and the door pin "pops" every time I open and close the door. If no one knows what the hell im talking about I can post a pic tomorrow after work... Thanks in advance!

'83 CJ7
'92 YJ
'00 XJ
'99 TJ
'05 TJ Rubicon (Impact Orange)
19OlllllllO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2007, 08:05 PM   #2
NinjaofDoom
1990 XJ Cherokee 

i think theyre called door helpers. no idea where to get them though.
Unread 09-30-2007, 08:11 PM   #3
Pincombe

Mine does the exact same thing. Must be a common problem. Check a junk yard, you might be able to find one that is in better shape (literally) than yours.
2000 XJ, 4.0L, 3" Rough Country, T/C lower, 31" Firestone Destination MTs, K&N,bored TB, Dynomax Cat back, Raybestos Brutestop slotted rotors, Raybestos Ceramic pads / shoes, Surco Safari Basket with 6 Eagle Eye 5" 100watt lights, AVS bug deflector,Nates 4x4 custom front bumper, Tail shades, Viper security w/ remote start. Clarion CD, Kenwood EQ, 3 Kenwood amps, 2 sets of MTX componets, and 2 10" MTX Subs.
Pincombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2007, 08:19 PM   #4
itasor
2009 JK Wrangler 

Mine does the same thing. Hammer out pin, replace with bolt that fits the hole. Did that to my passenger door and it's perfect now. Have to do my driver's door one of these days.
itasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2007, 08:33 PM   #5
TMXONR
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Mine used to do that. It ended up being a combination of the door pin and the bearing mechanisim inside the door. I just went to the U-Pull-It and grabbed a couple new ones. I also picked up a new pin for the hinge. Now my doors close like new.
'87 XJ: Front 3-link with coilovers, sits at 4.5" of lift | Custom front bumper | Custom rear bumper | Custom Rock Rails | Tow hooks and Rear hitch | Warn M8000 | Racing seats | Factory D44 in the rear | 33x12.50 Interco TrXus MT's on Mickey Thompson 15x8 Classic Lock's | 4.56 gears | ECTED's front and rear | RCV front axle shafts

Blue Jeep Club #244
TMXONR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2007, 08:44 PM   #6
DementedXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

mine did it bad when i first bought it, i hit it with some spray lithium grease and its been nice and smooth since
Unread 09-30-2007, 10:18 PM   #7
Slowride63
XJ Cherokee 

They are actually called door checks, and the trick to lubricating them is to get the lube on the spring and rollers which are out of view just inside the door. Those of you who have had one apart know what I'm talking about. It is also a good idea to snug down the mounting bolts once in a while, as they can loosen resulting in damage to the mounting area on the door. Unfortunately they need to be there, and removing them will result in damage to not only the door, but the fender as well, ask me how I know.
[COLOR="Red"]Red Jeep Club #364[/COLOR]
[COLOR="White"]Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club #101[/COLOR]
Slowride63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2007, 10:21 PM   #8
jeepsurfgirls

i believe you can get them at www.teamcherokee.com thats where i got mine i think

http://www.teamcherokee.com/Door_and...ems/index.html

hope that helps

"Im not jeepin unless i break something"
jeepsurfgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2007, 10:32 PM   #9
Slowride63
XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsurfgirls
i believe you can get them at www.teamcherokee.com thats where i got mine i think

http://www.teamcherokee.com/Door_and...ems/index.html

hope that helps
Thats a good price on the kit. When I replaced mine the checks were about 23 bucks apiece, and the roll pin and bracket had to be purchased seperately, another 6 bucks, and this was from the dealer.
Unread 09-30-2007, 11:02 PM   #10
ObiWanCanoli
1975 CJ5 

Nice. I was wondering about these myself. The pin is missing on my drivers-side door. PO put a wire staple in the thing (pops like crazy)
ObiWanCanoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2007, 11:58 PM   #11
JohnnyEpic
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Yea, get them on teamcherokee. They're called door checks. Mine is bent inside the door which is making the popping noise.

I'd advise against just removing them especially on a 2 door because the 2 door is so much heavier that when I removed mine it ended up breaking the weld on the hinges so I had to reweld all the hinges back up and then put the checker back in.

I'm planning on getting that kit as well to replace my driver side checker though. Good luck and post up some pictures if you do end up doing an install of those.
Recovery: Rock Lizard Rock Monitor Front Bumper | Drawtite Rear Hitch | Hi-Lift All Cast 48" | Hi-Lift Wheel Adapter
Lights: Four 6" Round 100 watt lights | Two rectangular backup lights | Two Hella 500FF lights on front bumper
Other: Surco 45x50 Sarari Rack | Tranny cooler | Smittybilt G.E.A.R. Seat Covers
Coming Soon: Detours USA Tailbone Tire-Carrier | AJ's Super Rock Rails
JohnnyEpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2007, 04:48 PM   #12
19OlllllllO41
Jeep Addict

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome! Thanks for all the helpful replies. I ordered them from teamcherokee since I dont have a ton of time to get to the junkyard. Thats a project for next weekend if they ship them asap!
'83 CJ7
'92 YJ
'00 XJ
'99 TJ
'05 TJ Rubicon (Impact Orange)

Last edited by 19OlllllllO41; 10-01-2007 at 04:58 PM..
19OlllllllO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2007, 04:52 PM   #13
itasor
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowride63
They are actually called door checks, and the trick to lubricating them is to get the lube on the spring and rollers which are out of view just inside the door. Those of you who have had one apart know what I'm talking about. It is also a good idea to snug down the mounting bolts once in a while, as they can loosen resulting in damage to the mounting area on the door. Unfortunately they need to be there, and removing them will result in damage to not only the door, but the fender as well, ask me how I know.
In my case it's the actual pin that pops. The hole has rounded out over time and as the pressure builds when opening the door, it shifts it's weight and makes a pop noise. On my passenger side, someone put a bolt there that fits the larger hole better, however I need to do something to my driver's side now I suppose. Not sure if I'm going to use a bolt, or just drill the hole a little bigger (so it's not an oval) and find a pin of some sort that fits.
itasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2007, 07:38 PM   #14
Slowride63
XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by itasor
In my case it's the actual pin that pops. The hole has rounded out over time and as the pressure builds when opening the door, it shifts it's weight and makes a pop noise. On my passenger side, someone put a bolt there that fits the larger hole better, however I need to do something to my driver's side now I suppose. Not sure if I'm going to use a bolt, or just drill the hole a little bigger (so it's not an oval) and find a pin of some sort that fits.
You can drill a larger hole, and get a hardened roll pin of the proper size to tap in there, keep it lubed, and it should last quite awhile.
Unread 10-02-2007, 09:43 AM   #15
brent_strong
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Would bad door checks also cause the door to not stay open on it's own? Mine wants to close itself all of the time...
brent_strong is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.