Driver seat front mounting location repair - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-19-2017, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
LogicViking

Driver seat front mounting location repair

Ok guys, I've had a water leak in the drivers floor for a couple week, pulled all my interior to check it out and found some rust issues. Apparently the PO had pulled the driver seat for what I assume was rust, and welded new brackets on the seat..

Anyways, the crossmember that mounts to the floor pan that takes the front two bolts for the seat is rusted to pieces. Have any of you found a way to repair an existing one with this much damage, or should I replace it? If so, can anyone link me to a part source? Any way I can avoid welding would be great, but i know I might not have a choice.

Thanks y'all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-19-2017, 07:42 PM
festerw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I don't have a picture but when I replaced the floor pan in mine I used a piece of 1/8" flat stock to bolt the seat to, cut 4 triangle braces to go along the back, and welded it to the floor and sides.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-19-2017, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
LogicViking

Quote:
Originally Posted by festerw View Post
I don't have a picture but when I replaced the floor pan in mine I used a piece of 1/8" flat stock to bolt the seat to, cut 4 triangle braces to go along the back, and welded it to the floor and sides.

Thanks for the quick reply!

That may be the route I have to go down, I'm not finding any kind of replacement parts.

post #4 of 12 Old 03-19-2017, 08:36 PM
HEAP_of_JEEP
1995 YJ Wrangler 

When I did my floors, I had to fabricate a new seat bracket out of 1/8" steel.

Check us out on Youtube

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-20-2017, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
LogicViking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAP_of_JEEP View Post
When I did my floors, I had to fabricate a new seat bracket out of 1/8" steel.

That seems to be the consensus, haha. Thank you very much!

post #6 of 12 Old 03-20-2017, 04:40 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

That floor mount is beyond repair. A few years back when I fixed my floors, I ordered that part from the Dealership. Some square tube or angle iron welded to the floor would be an adequate substitute.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-20-2017, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
LogicViking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
That floor mount is beyond repair. A few years back when I fixed my floors, I ordered that part from the Dealership. Some square tube or angle iron welded to the floor would be an adequate substitute.

Awesome, do you happen to have the correct name or part number still?

post #8 of 12 Old 03-20-2017, 04:55 AM
festerw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Part number is 55174759AB, it's discontinued which is why I ended up making my own.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-20-2017, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
LogicViking

Quote:
Originally Posted by festerw View Post
Part number is 55174759AB, it's discontinued which is why I ended up making my own.

Thank you for the information. I really appreciate all the help!

post #10 of 12 Old 03-23-2017, 04:54 PM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicViking View Post
Thanks for the quick reply!

That may be the route I have to go down, I'm not finding any kind of replacement parts.

I looked for replacements for ages before replacing my floor panels. Just make the bracket, no one makes replacements anymore and the warehouses have been emptied of the leftovers.

The only other thing you could do is try to find a set in better shape on a JY XJ and cut them off and weld them on yours, frankly I think the 1/8" and brackets will be a better solution and about the same effort.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-23-2017, 05:43 PM
KF4SQB
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Just keep in mind if you decide to "roll your own" seat brackets: if they fail in a crash, you could be very seriously injured! Make sure that you make them adequate to "hold the load". A good rule of thumb for "crash force" is to multiply the weight of an object by the speed of impact. For example, say that you weigh 100 pounds (easy number to work with). In a crash at 30 MPH, you would weigh the equivalent of 300 pounds. At 60, 600 pounds. Make sure that your "engineering" is up to the task!

4-wheeling: because football, basketball, baseball, and golf only require one ball!

Confidence: The feeling you get just before you fully understand the situation!
post #12 of 12 Old 03-23-2017, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
LogicViking

I appreciate the tips guys, I've got a guy fabricating me a new one, I would rather do everything myself but as it was pointed out that's a possible safety hazard. Sometimes gotta leave it to the pros!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.