Driver Door stuck??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Driver Door stuck???

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.comAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 12-17-2007, 10:15 PM   #1
89mudlite
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Driver Door stuck???

im new here but i really need some help on this one...back in the early summer my inside latch to the driver door stopped working so i'd have to open the door from the outside not really a problem...but one day i unlocked the door as i pushed the outside handle in and bam the door wouldnt work and hasnt worked since then...im sure the door handles are busted but i still cant get this door opened...i really have no idea on how to get it open at all...any idea's at all please help im sellin my car and going back to drivin the 89 as a daily driver...when u have to crawl in from the passenger side everytime it really makes for a pain in the butt...all idea's would be appreciated thanks guys

Unread 12-19-2007, 09:20 PM   #2
89mudlite
1989 XJ Cherokee 

still havent figured this thing out...i really dont wanna take it to a local shop and pay 60-80 dollars an hour when i could do it myself plus i hate paying someone to do something i can do...thanks people
Unread 12-19-2007, 10:15 PM   #3
Shoobie
1989 XJ Cherokee 

If you can roll the window down, maybe you use a thin metal rod to move the linkages from inside the door (kind of like when you lock your keys inside). Probably not the easiest thing, but it's all I can think of.
Shoobie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2007, 10:34 PM   #4
89mudlite
1989 XJ Cherokee 

i have tried messin with the linkage on the inside bc i have the door panel off and still cant seem to get n e thing workin...its one mess...when or if i get the door off i can jus go doorless or buy another but until then im screwed
Unread 12-19-2007, 11:04 PM   #5
Shoobie
1989 XJ Cherokee 

If you have the panel off, you should definitely be able to open it. Find the rod that actuates the latch, and push on it. I've never looked inside an XJ door, but I've done it like this on several other vehicles.
Shoobie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2007, 11:24 PM   #6
89mudlite
1989 XJ Cherokee 

actually i couldnt get it open with the panel off...but with some thinking i took the rear door off and took a recip saw and cut the striker plate off door opened...after 7 months of being stuck i took the lock mechanism out and still not a budge...but i was wandering if i could take the lock mechanism off the back door and use it any suggestions?
Unread 12-25-2007, 10:37 PM   #7
ar275103
1993 XJ Cherokee 

encountered the same prob in my 93 xj, turned out the pin that controls the door lock was broken. Had to take off the panel and with a screwdriver and flashlight closely examine the passenger door to see how it operated. i was able to use a screwdriver and pry on the inside of the latch part that controlled the door lock while working the handle. hard to explain but very easy to fix. Replaced the whole latch assembly with a new junkyard unit
ar275103 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2007, 10:53 PM   #8
89mudlite
1989 XJ Cherokee 

yea man now i gotta go buy a new striker plate but i was wandering if the lock assembly from the back door would work im thinking it prolly wont...how much of a PITA was it to put the new one in and how much did it cost...i need to post some pics showing what i did...
Unread 12-26-2007, 11:55 AM   #9
89mudlite
1989 XJ Cherokee 

went to the junkyard found a nice 89 jeep down there they took the latch assemby off for me 40 dollars for it all i found it to be pretty cheap since the stealership wanted 90+ for it...as for puttin the new one in i have no idea...also thinkin bout doin the gauge swap...50 for the gauges is that a bad price?
Unread 12-26-2007, 08:11 PM   #10
600buckXJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I just had a similar problem with my '95. My problem ended up being that the latch still worked fine, but it would not unlock. So it just acted like my door was locked all the time. I replaced it with a latch off of a parts Jeep. (I practically have my own junkyard!) The latch assembly out of the rear doors appear to be the same, but you would not have had a good way of latching the rear door then.

The most difficult part of replacing the latch is unhooking and rehooking the door handle and lock rods. Try to be patient, have a small bright flashlight, and maybe some various size/shaped pliers. That should make things go more smoothly. Also, lubricate the new latch thoroughly as well as everything in the door when you're done! That will help you in the long run.
Unread 12-26-2007, 10:14 PM   #11
89mudlite
1989 XJ Cherokee 

thanks man i appreciate the help and as for puttin the latch back in...i tried earlier it is a PITA but ima get to it tomorow with the help of another buddy...hopefully we can get this bak in...today i spent 5 or 6 hours wrenchin on various small things to get it runnin in tip top shape...hopefully by spring ill have it where i want it
Unread 12-27-2007, 10:42 PM   #12
89mudlite
1989 XJ Cherokee 

got the latch assembly in..thanks for the replies...door works great jus wish i could say the same for alot of other things on the jeep...but hey its a jeep...i wouldnt have n e thing to do if stuff didnt break so frequently
Unread 12-27-2007, 11:11 PM   #13
cajunbull61

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89mudlite
went to the junkyard found a nice 89 jeep down there they took the latch assemby off for me 40 dollars for it all i found it to be pretty cheap since the stealership wanted 90+ for it...as for puttin the new one in i have no idea...also thinkin bout doin the gauge swap...50 for the gauges is that a bad price?
I paid 20 for mine at Pullapart. Check their site... 3 locations in Ky. Cheeep prices. pullapart.com
cajunbull61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2007, 11:45 PM   #14
89mudlite
1989 XJ Cherokee 

eh well it costs me 20-30 dollars in gas to get to the nearest one i only see one in kentucky...so ill prolly end up drivin 5 mins down the road and have them pull the part for me...plus their gonna give me the oil pressure sending unit and the coolant sending unit for an extra 10 bucks...cant beat that...and they pull it...thanks for the idea tho

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.