Driveline Vibes...I know it's been asked but i really need some help. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Driveline Vibes...I know it's been asked but i really need some help.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesJeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 07-07-2010, 10:06 PM   #16
KINGJB
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I go to school at Umass Amherst. I have wheeled with a few different people in the area.

Unread 07-07-2010, 11:01 PM   #17
VTEK1
1999 XJ Cherokee 

ahh, The Zoo. I almost went there, well happy wheeling man. maybe I'll see you around.

Black Beast Build

MΘΣΝΔ ΚΘΒΦΘΡ
VTEK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 12:55 AM   #18
PackDude
1998 XJ Cherokee 

When I did my measly 2" lift, I had drive line vibes immediately, until I put in the t-case drop as a temp fix. I just made one out of rectangular steel bars, but anything would probably work. As soon as the drop went in, the vibes went down quite a bit. But they didn't truly clear up until I bit the bullet and converted to SYE w/ CV drive shaft. There is still a 1-2 degree variance from pinion to drive shaft, but no vibes, so I haven't installed the angle shims under the springs yet.

Some of the lift kit vendor sites will say "you probably won't even need a transfer case drop or notice any vibes with this lift kit." I guess it varies as to who gets them and who don't? I dunno.
Unread 07-08-2010, 08:50 AM   #19
VTEK1
1999 XJ Cherokee 

ya driveline vibes are so hard to pin point, there are so many things to look at and that pretty much what I'm looking at. I did u-joints tried the t-case drop, so a bigger t-case drop. it's weird because I had the vibes when I first got the Jeep with the sagged out almosted inverted springs in the back and had the vibes. now with the heavy duty springs which I think came on the UpCountry package (got em from Crown Auto) i still have vibes. but noticed the DS has a small dent in it at the very back on the pinion end. So i'm going to see if it's balanced, otherwise it'll be time for a AA SYE and possibly a new (newer) DS. I don't want to spend the money on like a Tom Woods DS. I personally don't think the price is right, some if not most will disagree with me.

Black Beast Build

MΘΣΝΔ ΚΘΒΦΘΡ
Unread 07-08-2010, 09:17 AM   #20
KINGJB
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I had driveline vibrations, but mine were caused by a bad ujoint.
Unread 01-31-2011, 12:44 AM   #21
VTEK1
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Gotta bring back this thread with a new symptom. Shortly after installing the lift and doing the t-case drop about 1 1/2 inches. The vibes started to go away. Now they have worked their way back. I got a buddy we went shooting the other night one friend sat in passenger seat and he sat in the back. He weighs about 300 lbs, and doing just over 30 (i sometimes get vibes right here, not before or after 31ish) The vibes were loud! And i mean loud to the point were I almost pulled over. Now if I'm thinking of this right, him sitting there would cause the rear to squat causing the driveshaft to move in towards the t-case???? what the heck does that have to do with this tho?? I'm going to try and get the DS balanced. Way too cold to take the DS off up here in Maine. -10 every night for the past 2 wks. Please anyone know why this is happening now??

Black Beast Build

MΘΣΝΔ ΚΘΒΦΘΡ
Unread 01-31-2011, 05:09 AM   #22
blingII
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Have you checked the U-joints as was suggested?
blingII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 06:28 AM   #23
4pointOH1998
2013 JK Wrangler 

Mike I'd say lets check the u-joints this weekend. Could have lost the needles out of them in the past months.
4pointOH1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 11:52 AM   #24
VTEK1
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Really?? I mean i just changed them this past summer?? I'm just trying to figure out why weight in the back would make it worse?? AHH!!:bric kwall

Black Beast Build

MΘΣΝΔ ΚΘΒΦΘΡ
Unread 01-31-2011, 12:11 PM   #25
blackgnx
1997 XJ Cherokee 

doesnt sound like u pulled the drive stafts out and drive it yet? Test the front and rear DS by pulling them. It's not impossible that the diff bearings and or the tranfercase bearings are humming
Unread 01-31-2011, 12:47 PM   #26
VTEK1
1999 XJ Cherokee 

this is a little more than a hum. I've been wanting to take the DS out but it's way too cold right now. I'll try and do that this wkend.

Black Beast Build

MΘΣΝΔ ΚΘΒΦΘΡ
Unread 03-16-2011, 09:36 AM   #27
VTEK1
1999 XJ Cherokee 

u-joints are fine, doing lower control arms right now so while i'm under there I'll pull each DS one at a time and take it for a spin.

Black Beast Build

MΘΣΝΔ ΚΘΒΦΘΡ

Tags
driveline , vibes , vibration , driveshaft , lift , angle

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.