Driveline Vibes...I know it's been asked but i really need some help. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Driveline Vibes...I know it's been asked but i really need some help.

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 07-02-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
VTEK1
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Driveline Vibes...I know it's been asked but i really need some help.

Okay 99 XJ 135,000 on it. 1 inch in the rear stock in the front. Drive angles were less than 2 degrees different from each other. as for the actual angles I don't remember. I'll get them up here tomorrow. I'm a little scared because I thought doing a t-case drop for now would be okay. I don't have a t-case drop but I get wicked bad vibes at like 55-65 MPH and a little bit at 30ish. I get the vibes more at high RPM low speed, feels like a nice massage in my drivers seat. Problem is I'm hoping this isn't killing the XJ slowly. I know it's been asked before and I'm going to get the DS balanced/checked. I'm hearing stuff about bent output shafts from the t-case possibly....I replaced the u-joints, I tried the 2 washer t-case drop and soon I'm putting a 1 inch drop in. Another weird thing is this past April me and a few fraternity brothers took a trip down to Cape Cod, and will them and all the Beer....I mean luggage. there were almost no vibrations anymore......Someone give me some good news please..... and thanks for the input.

Black Beast Build

MΘΣΝΔ ΚΘΒΦΘΡ
VTEK1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 07:07 AM   #2
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Have you rmoved the front driveshaft and driven it to rule it out as the culprit? I would try that, and for the rear driveshaft angles with a stock driveshaft you want the pinion to be parallel with the output on the t-case, not pointed at it like with the SYE.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 01:08 AM   #3
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Mine did that... without the TCase drop. Popped in a $35 Skyjacker drop, no noise at all, no vibes nada. I meanit was BAD, like awful growling on and off the throttle and a nasty rumble at certain RPM. This was with a 3.5" rear lift and 3" (netted closer to 4" I think) up front. Drove it like that for about 10 months, then popped in some 2" rear shackles, and a few little vibes are back, but minimal and almost un noticeable to anyone other than to me.

I have the AA SYE in the garage, and a front DS to pop in, but I have no time. sigh

Been sitting on that for too long.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 06:34 PM   #4
VTEK1
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My vibes start to go away when i let off the throttle....I looked at the drive angles and they are both right between 10 and 11 degress. I think FSM says it should be 7-8. Anyone know the size bolt you need to replace the studs and do a t-case drop????

Black Beast Build

MΘΣΝΔ ΚΘΒΦΘΡ
Unread 07-04-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
shawnzoman
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Usually vibes at about 45+ are something else other than a driveshaft. I put in a SYE and a used set of tires on the same day. Got terrible, almost undrivable vibes at 45-50. Rebuilt two drive shafts, had them balanced as well and STILL had problems. Switched my tires back 2 months later and it was as quiet as can be.

Hey at least now I got two good drive shafts.
Unread 07-07-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
VTEK1
1999 XJ Cherokee 

that can't be true because I changed wheels and tires and the vibes were the same, did a 1/4 inch t-case drop with two washers did do something at first but now they are back???? does that make any sense.

Black Beast Build

MΘΣΝΔ ΚΘΒΦΘΡ
Unread 07-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #7
shawnzoman
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Maybe it wasn't true in your case, I'm just saying vibes at that speed can be all kinds of things. Try a 1/2 inch drop or 3/4. Hell I had a transfer case drop in a while from Skyjacker that was 1 1/2 inches I believe. Gonna have to experiment with it to find the right amount. Also when I had problems I removed the rear shaft, drove in 4 wheel drive to see if that eliminated the vibes.
Unread 07-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #8
john NC
1979 CJ5 

do MMLs work well in XJs? might be more work as you can't do a body lift...

after dealing with the same problem on my TJ i just did a 1" MML with the rubber bushings and was able to remove the TC drop with no vibes

Jeep Motor Mount Lifts (MML)
john NC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #9
shawnzoman
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Never tried, but I'm pretty sure MML ain't gonna work on an XJ.
Unread 07-07-2010, 07:39 PM   #10
VTEK1
1999 XJ Cherokee 

not enough room under the hood i don't think. thanks for the input guys, I know it's been asked a million times but I'm so sick of the vibes, I'm going to put a 1inch drop next week when I get some time. plus going to drive without R-DS before I do that.

Black Beast Build

MΘΣΝΔ ΚΘΒΦΘΡ
Unread 07-07-2010, 09:03 PM   #11
KINGJB
1999 XJ Cherokee 

So, you're from Gardner?
Unread 07-07-2010, 09:17 PM   #12
Ryles522
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Some problem with 3.4 inch rear lift i put in almost 1.5 inch of t case drop and its better but still bad idk how to make it better other than sye and cv driveshaft.
Unread 07-07-2010, 10:01 PM   #13
VTEK1
1999 XJ Cherokee 

ya I live on brookside right now but will be moving at the end of the summer to Maine. you from around here too?

Black Beast Build

MΘΣΝΔ ΚΘΒΦΘΡ
Unread 07-07-2010, 10:23 PM   #14
KINGJB
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I hail from Belchertwon.
Unread 07-07-2010, 10:55 PM   #15
VTEK1
1999 XJ Cherokee 

never really met any of the guys from around here, but I go to school in Maine and wheel with the PV4WD guys. (Penobscot Valley)

Black Beast Build

MΘΣΝΔ ΚΘΒΦΘΡ

Tags
driveline , vibes , vibration , driveshaft , lift , angle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.