Drive Train Rattling Noise - Second Opinion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Drive Train Rattling Noise - Second Opinion

The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Check out our NEW Steering Stuff!

Unread 06-12-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
LimeLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Drive Train Rattling Noise - Second Opinion

1997 Jeep Comanche - 4.7L, AW4, NP231, D44 Rear
Assume everything has 412 miles on it except for the the transmission and transfer case which are both are about 220,000 miles.

Transfer is in 2WD and the front drive shaft is removed since it needs the centering ball rebuilt before being reinstalled. No linkage hooked up either.

There is a rattling noise between drive and deceleration during coasting when the drive shaft is best described as unloaded. It sounds like a dragging chain.

My initial finding was that the drive shaft was built with a low clearance yoke at the transfer case causing it bind at 12 of u-joint angle. It normally rides 10*to 12. I remedied that by swapping the high clearance slip yoke from a spare XJ drive shaft to get a maximum of 20 of clearance.

The noise initially seemed to be gone, but modulating to keep the drive shaft unloaded brings the noise back. It just seems that the new drive shaft with the wrong yoke helped to make me aware of the issue.

I am fairly sure it is a loose chain or a bad bearing in the transfer case since the noise is coming from the transfer case area right next to the driver's seat. Though I have other mechanic friends telling me it is probably not that. Thus, second opinions from those with experience with kind of situation?

LimeLJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.