Drive it into the dirt until it dies, fix it, and drive some more!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Drive it into the dirt until it dies, fix it, and drive some more!!

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-19-2007, 10:43 AM   #1
SoCal_HEMIHead
2008 JK Wrangler 

Drive it into the dirt until it dies, fix it, and drive some more!!

I'm trying to figure out what to do with my aging Cherokee. It has 200,000 miles on it and I've decided to make it a trail rig... ok, a trail beater

I first thought I'd lift it, upgrade the axles, etc. but quickly realized I'd spend more on parts than the entire truck is worth. Then I thought I'd purchase a used Jeep already lifted, but then what is the point of keeping the one I have?!?

In the end, I think I'm now leaning towards making very little changes and just driving it until it breaks, fix it, and drive it some more. I'll be happy to get out on the trail once a month, doing some medium level off-roading. My Jeep has never failed me before, so it should be able to hold up to some abuse without having to do any major upgrades... right?

With that in mind, my leaf springs are weak and cause the truck to sag. I friend mentioned getting either stiffer coil springs, or lower shackles and new leaf springs which should give me 1" - 2" of lift.

What low cost fix would you recommend to improve my sagging suspension? AAL? Stiffer Coils? Lower shackles? Other ideas?

Thanks for the help and ideas...

SoCal_HEMIHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2007, 10:49 AM   #2
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

just grab some new leafs and coils, maybe find some in a JY. if this truck is going to be a beater no sence in throwing money at it if your just going to drive it into the ground.

-Kyle
XJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2007, 11:31 AM   #3
Atari.fan3000
1998 XJ Cherokee 

what condition is your jeep in now? (lift/mods etc.......) also axles do you got the 8.25 or the D35?

if you got a D35 you can go to 32 or 33's tires and if you got the 8.25 you can go up to 35's (but I would not recommend it because the gearing would suck and new gears cost $$ )

also is it an auto or manual?

I say just do enough lift to clear 33's hack the fenders get a few skid plates, and make sure yougot a recovery point and wheel the HELL out of it!
C 4X4 front tow hooks; Rear Hatch Speakers; Painted Fenders Flares; herculined floor; Back-Up lights inside bumper
My car Domain Page
Atari.fan3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2007, 11:41 AM   #4
SoCal_HEMIHead
2008 JK Wrangler 

Stock form now. '93 Cherokee 4-door Sport auto.

Not sure which axles... how do I find out?
Unread 07-19-2007, 11:48 AM   #5
Topgun514
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Trim the heck outta it and add a BB (100 dollars)
then put on 33's...i think there is a pic of one next to Erics (EricsXJ) and the trip they were on it was amazing...it has NO lift too
also, HeavyMetal did a job like that and it looks awesome and real capable
3.5" Lift, RE SF LCA's with skids, 31x10.50R15 Duratracs, ARB Roofrack, Custom Bumper, Glasspack, Bored TB, Custom seats
Topgun514 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2007, 12:20 PM   #6
dopod
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_HEMIHead
Not sure which axles... how do I find out?
The 8.25 axle has a flat bottom. Dana 35 is more or less round.
dopod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2007, 12:51 PM   #7
SoCal_HEMIHead
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
8.25 axle has a flat bottom. Dana 35
In that case... looks like I have the 8.25. Is that better than the D35?

Quote:
just grab some new leafs and coils
Quote:
add a BB (100 dollars)
Any suggestions on what exactly to purchase? I wouldn't have a clue where to start.

Thanks for the help!!
Unread 07-19-2007, 01:07 PM   #8
dopod
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_HEMIHead
Is that better than the D35?
Yep

I would look into new (or newer used) rear springs and putting a budget boost on. Cheap and easy.
Unread 07-19-2007, 01:21 PM   #9
SoCal_HEMIHead
2008 JK Wrangler 

Any good suggestions for a cheap budget boost? What do I buy?
Unread 07-19-2007, 01:37 PM   #10
dopod
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Here's what I would do if you are going for cheap:
Get a used 2" spacer for the front, or go to the junkyard and get a few stock coil isolators for each side. For the rear get two newer sets of xj leafs. Combine both sets into a bastard pack. You'll have to mix and match to get the desired lift height.

After you lift it you will have to deal with a couple of other things: shock length, brake lines, alignment, and possibly vibes.

Make some bar pin eliminators (bpe's) for the shocks. This is basically free if you have a grinder, drill, and some angle iron. Search for some write ups on it.

Relocate the rear brake line. Hack off the rear brake line support, bend the line down, and attach the support with a strip of metal so it doesn't bounce around after bumps. The front lines will be long enough in stock form for just a 2" lift.

You can do a drive way alignment with basic tools. Search for it, there are plenty of write ups.

If you do get vibes (unlikely, especially if it is older than 96) just do a home made t-case drop.

After you do all of this trim your fenders, throw some 31s on and wheel it.
Unread 07-19-2007, 01:54 PM   #11
MiCrOz

Since it's a beater, just put some spacers on the front coils and blocks in the back. 3" blocks from autozone for $15 and I'm sure you can find the spacers for under $30, decent budget lift.
MiCrOz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2007, 02:13 PM   #12
Atari.fan3000
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiCrOz
Since it's a beater, just put some spacers on the front coils and blocks in the back. 3" blocks from autozone for $15 and I'm sure you can find the spacers for under $30, decent budget lift.

I would have to say stay away from block and shackles, only because he is running a stock setup up and his rear leafs are sagging and block and shackles will only make that worse.
C 4X4 front tow hooks; Rear Hatch Speakers; Painted Fenders Flares; herculined floor; Back-Up lights inside bumper
My car Domain Page
Atari.fan3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2007, 03:14 PM   #13
ChewyXJ
nom nom nom

If you plan on staying in the world of Cherokees, even after this one completely dies, I'd suggest getting a good quality suspension. You can always swap the good parts out of the dead Jeep into a fresh one.

I originally planned to do this with my '93 but she just keeps on going. I suspect that the XJ is going to outlast my aftermarket parts.
'87 XJ 2" lift
'96 XJ stock

"Personally, I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making some more."

"Don't believe everything you think..."
ChewyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2007, 03:58 PM   #14
SoCal_HEMIHead
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
If you plan on staying in the world of Cherokees
No offense... but the next Jeep is going to be the new JK Unlimited Rubicon, thus why I don't want to put any money into the Cherokee.

Thanks for all the great info/ideas!!
Unread 08-02-2009, 10:23 AM   #15
jjg214
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_HEMIHead View Post
No offense... but the next Jeep is going to be the new JK Unlimited Rubicon, thus why I don't want to put any money into the Cherokee.

Thanks for all the great info/ideas!!
AND NOW YOU GET NO MORE HELP!!!!

just kidding, spend $200 on new aftermarket lift leafs, you will be happy you did.
jjg214 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.