Drain Plugs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Drain Plugs

Spartan Locker's at all time LOW exclusive from ROCKRIDGE FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 05-13-2015, 09:44 AM   #1
300cpilot
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Drain Plugs

Has anyone used these drain plugs? They have an o-ring in the middle of the threads. My original has developed a weeping leak and I am thinking of using this one.

http://www.amazon.com/SMART-O-Drain-...+jeep+cherokee

300cpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2015, 11:06 AM   #2
vodka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I am experiencing the same leak from my factory drain plug, I can't really tighten it any more, but I have drops coming out and I'm catching some flack for the leak in my garage. The original drain plug is 5/8 (socket size) not sure what the size/thread is, but Amazon is saying that this will fit my 2000 XJ Sport... why is the O ring half way on the thread.. seems weird. I'd also like to hear if others have replaced their factory plug with this and if it's better.

Cheers
vodka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2015, 12:24 PM   #3
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Purchase a large nylon or copper washer to place under the head of your existing drain plug. Clean the surface of the pan and be sure it is dirt and burr free.

The nylon will conform to the surface of both parts (pan and underside of bolt head) and will stop the leak. I have done this on my 1991 F150, where after about 8 million oil changes, the old plug/pan interface is not totally "oil-tight".
Unread 05-13-2015, 02:38 PM   #4
vodka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I guess I'll have to deal with the leak until I replace the oil again... in the meantime I'll hit the home depot and see if I can get some washers...
Drain plug is 1/2-20 bolt I believe?
vodka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2015, 03:02 PM   #5
300cpilot
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Mine has a nylon washer/cap on it, but it is like a cap on the bolt head. Thought about cutting off and putting a new washer on it, saw these when I was looking for a washer.
My spot free driveway has about 10 spots on it the size of a dollar bill and I got an HOA letter. So now I have 10 piles of cat litter on them. Will have to power wash them this weekend.
Unread 05-13-2015, 05:03 PM   #6
Jakobi
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Get a drain plug crush washer from your local auto parts store. Replace as necessary.
Unread 05-13-2015, 06:03 PM   #7
ECL
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I finally broke down and bought a new drain plug from the dealer. At $15, it wasn't cheap but the fresh rubber gasket on the head stopped the leak....well at least it stopped THAT leak!
ECL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2015, 08:58 PM   #8
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300cpilot View Post
Mine has a nylon washer/cap on it, but it is like a cap on the bolt head. Thought about cutting off and putting a new washer on it, saw these when I was looking for a washer.
My spot free driveway has about 10 spots on it the size of a dollar bill and I got an HOA letter. So now I have 10 piles of cat litter on them. Will have to power wash them this weekend.
Don't cut the old washer off. Just add a new one below it on the bolt. The nylon washer will conform to the old washer AND the pan quite nicely.

Or, you can spring for a metal oil plug crush washer, but they have a more limited life. I like the nylon washer method.
Unread 05-13-2015, 09:00 PM   #9
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodka View Post
I guess I'll have to deal with the leak until I replace the oil again... in the meantime I'll hit the home depot and see if I can get some washers...
Drain plug is 1/2-20 bolt I believe?
Measure the OD of the bolt theads and the OD of the current bolt head flange. Choose a nylon washer accordingly.
Unread 05-14-2015, 08:46 AM   #10
300cpilot
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECL View Post
I finally broke down and bought a new drain plug from the dealer. At $15, it wasn't cheap but the fresh rubber gasket on the head stopped the leak....well at least it stopped THAT leak!
Boy isn't that the truth! It seams like it has to leak somewhere else, as soon as you fix what you think is the last leak.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.