Double Check Me please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Double Check Me please

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-27-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
Lifesgoodhere

Double Check Me please

Ok inspection....t - 3 days.

I was doing a quick pre-inspection today and noticed my front right (FR) turn signal bulb was out. It the parking light still lights up, so it must be the 2nd filament right?

Replaced the bulb with a new one. Still no signal light. the rear right (RR) lights up however.

Checked with my ohm meter the socket, one dead. Ok so that meas I have a short between the switch and the light correct?

before I tear into the signal column what else could I have skipped over?

*The Homestretch ---- Finishing the Hammer. It's on!!
Lifesgoodhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
AequitasVeritas

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Relay perhaps?
Unread 09-27-2010, 04:15 PM   #3
AequitasVeritas

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Or maybe the fuse?
Unread 09-27-2010, 05:38 PM   #4
Lifesgoodhere

checked the fuse, all my other lights are working though. But I did notice someone had been in that light before, butt connectors

Haven't checked the relay yet.....where is it?
Unread 09-27-2010, 06:00 PM   #5
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Right under the stock airbox there is a conenctor that may be the source of your trouble. I think it is the main connection of the front lights to the wiring harness. The connector holds moisture due to it's location under the airbox, and many I've seen we're severely corroded. My first XJ was so badly corroded that I ended up splicing out the connector, bypassing and removing it. This solved my problems with front blinkers and headlights.

Your troubles may be elsewhere but it couldn't hurt to take a quick look, remove your airbox and open the connector to see the possible carnage.

I hope this helps.
Diamond-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2010, 07:02 PM   #6
Lifesgoodhere

good thinking I will look at that tomorrow, but when I took the airbox out to clean it and fix a power steering line I didn't see such said connector. The signal light in the dash works, and isn't the RR and the RF connected? but the RR signal light works...... wouldn't be a simple flasher would it?
Unread 09-28-2010, 09:01 AM   #7
AequitasVeritas

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Not sure where the relay is. But seems like there is an under hood relay box on the drivers side.
Unread 09-28-2010, 11:23 AM   #8
Greenz
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifesgoodhere View Post
checked the fuse, all my other lights are working though. But I did notice someone had been in that light before, butt connectors
Bingo...

Check for a bad connection there even if you have to replace all the butt connectors. Many diy crimp terminals fail due to improper installation. There are tons of substandard crimp tools sold. One should really invest in quality strippers and crimpers like Klien. Don't forget to protect the connection with shrink tube.

More likely to have an open circuit rather than a short. A shorted circuit would cause more symptoms like blown fuses, burnt wiring, or more lights out.
Unread 09-28-2010, 05:48 PM   #9
Lifesgoodhere

I re did them today and made it up to the inspection station it passed, but the fuse blew (for the turn signals) while we were checking the turn signals.

Tags
parking light , turn signal

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.