Double cardian rebuild - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Double cardian rebuild

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 05-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
Modstock
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Double cardian rebuild

Ive done u-joints before but has anyone done a cardian ?
Got my 2 u-joints with the zerks facing outside and the regular u-joint for the axle end.
I know I could go have this done but I wanna try .

Modstock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
MikeT3
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modstock View Post
Ive done u-joints before but has anyone done a cardian ?
Got my 2 u-joints with the zerks facing outside and the regular u-joint for the axle end.
I know I could go have this done but I wanna try .
Make sure you mark everything so that it goes back together the same as it was originally. There is a ball and a small spring that preloads the whole setup.
I found that by removing the two end caps that mount towards the yoke end first, will unload the spring and installing them last will make the job a whole lot easier. Once you have removed the caps the rest is just like a normal u-joint removal.
One other thing, there is a cup seal that seals the ball from the elements, you may want to replace it while you are in there and also put a generous amount of grease on the ball and spring.
Good luck
MikeT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
Modstock
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Cool . Thanks for the help .
Hopefully I can get the cup/spring thru checker tomorrow.
Unread 05-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
Modstock
1999 XJ Cherokee 

So far so good . I have 2 u-joints pulled ( the axle end and the t-case end ) and should be finishing it up tomorrow at work.
I also got the CV ball/spring/seal thru Orielys for $45 . U-joints (3) ran me $40. Only $85 into this driveline .
Just for giggles I called up a local DL shop and I was quoted $150 + .
Its not that hard. If ya can do a u-joint than this should be easy .
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
Modstock
1999 XJ Cherokee 

When I took the CV apart a seal fell out and im not sure how it goes back in .
No instructions came with the parts.
Ive tried to google up scematics but nothing about the seal .
Any help with this would be great .
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #6
DriverX
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Did you take any pics during this? I may need to rebuild my front DS too. I've been reading a few write ups and not many have pics.
DriverX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:41 PM   #7
Modstock
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I got it done today and it went well. Guess I was being paranoid about the seal but it can only go in one way.
I did take some pics but I wont be able to upload them till sunday night . They'll be in my build thread.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.