Door's will not unlock, ONLY a click under dash! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Door's will not unlock, ONLY a click under dash!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdTeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!

Unread 11-25-2008, 09:04 AM   #1
BRad704
Nothing to see here...

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Door's will not unlock, ONLY a click under dash!

When I went to get my coffee cup outta the jeep this morning, everything unlocked fine. But when I tried to lock the doors (electric, but not keyless), they did not lock, there is only a click under the dash.

I am assuming this is the relay clicking, but would this also mean that the relay is the shot? And how much do those usually cost?

BRad704 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2008, 09:32 AM   #2
Sleeeper

They are dirt cheap if it is a realy or fuse, check your manual to find where it is then check it out
2000 XJ, RE XD 5.5 lift (sits 7''), American Expedition Chrome 16'', Hankook A/T's, Cobra CB, EDGE trailjammer, 64mm TB, Logans Metals Pre-Runner front bumper with XRC-8 Winch, Aussie rear locker, H4 bulbs and surroundings, high flow cat with 2.5 exhaust..... etc...
Sleeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2008, 07:45 PM   #3
XJResponder00
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hey =)

I took a look at my service manual for my '94 XJ, and I am not sure if the locking system is the same, so I maybe making some assumptions. From what I can tell, there are TWO relays for the door locks located in the relay center. One relay is for locking, and one is for unlocking. My questions are: Did ALL the doors unlock, did any of them lock, and could you lock the doors using the keyless (assuming you have it). Also, could you lock the doors from any of the other doors? Again I am assuming they didnt change the system since the '94, so my information might be wrong but hopefully it helps!

Last edited by XJResponder00; 11-25-2008 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: My spelling SUCKS!!!!
XJResponder00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2008, 09:52 PM   #4
BRad704
Nothing to see here...

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I think you're on the right track with the 2 relay info... ALL the doors unlock just fine, and NONE of the doors lock at all... Not even try to lock... So to me, that means the lock relay is kapputt!

I haven't gotten another one yet, or even tried to physically locate the dead one... I'll come back to this after I get it fixed...
BRad704 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2008, 07:45 AM   #5
XJResponder00
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Cool.

Yeah it sounds like a possible relay failure. Keep us updated as I am interested to find out if that was the problem or not. Good luck! =)
XJResponder00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.