Door Panel Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Door Panel Problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 06-28-2012, 01:56 AM   #1
rkirbyaz
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Door Panel Problem

About a year ago I had some kids in the back of my 96 XJ. The locks are a little sticky and they didn't have the door unlocked. When they tried to open the door, it wouldn't - because it was locked. So they started yanking on the door lever trying to open it. Something shaped and now the lock and the lever don't work. I'm pretty sure I can fix it, once I get into the door panel. My problem is I need to get the door open to remove the panel. To open the door I need to get it unlocked. To get it unlocked I need to fix it. To fix it I need to get the panel off. And round and round we go. I am tired of having a 3 door Jeep. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

rkirbyaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
muaddib420
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Get a locksmith to shim the door open.
muaddib420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

You may be able to remove the panel after removing the rear bench seat. After the panel is off you should be able to open the door by yanking whatever little metal arms and levers in there that you can get your hands on.

If you spray white lithium grease on all of the moving bits it will probably make your power locks work better. I ******d mine out with wd40 as a quickfix, and the next day they were totally dead. Redouching with white lithium grease spray totally brought them back. This was after doing the kickpanel relay fix, so don't assume relays are a cure all for sticky mechanisms.

Current: Black 89 limited, dakota bastard pack, zj coils, 1.5" lift, open cooling swap, bronco 2 carrier, rad fan switch
Rest in Pieces: Red 1990 cherokee dana30/8.25 - v8 zj coils & s10 bastard pack 2.5" lift - 31x10.5r15 tires - v8 zj tierod

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentjeep View Post
Bleed or Quit.
jf irc @ irc.freenode.net #jeepforum
keepishop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
rkirbyaz
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks, that work with only insignificant damage to the panel.
rkirbyaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkirbyaz View Post
Thanks, that work with only insignificant damage to the panel.
I wish it would work on my cousin's stupid maxima's stuck door. Still looking for a technique to get that bastard open.

Current: Black 89 limited, dakota bastard pack, zj coils, 1.5" lift, open cooling swap, bronco 2 carrier, rad fan switch
Rest in Pieces: Red 1990 cherokee dana30/8.25 - v8 zj coils & s10 bastard pack 2.5" lift - 31x10.5r15 tires - v8 zj tierod

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentjeep View Post
Bleed or Quit.
jf irc @ irc.freenode.net #jeepforum
keepishop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
broken , door , lock , panel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.