Door locks won't unlock - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Door locks won't unlock

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-19-2006, 03:34 PM   #1
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Door locks won't unlock

Searched around, only found electric door lock problems.

My 96 cherokee's door locks will move. The key turns, and the inside switch moves. However the door doesnt actually unlock. This only happens if you press the button in while its locked.

Its finally done it so I can't get it unlocked (so i can strip the door and clean the parts)

How can I unlock / open the door?

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2006, 04:10 PM   #2
Sairys
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have this issues from time to time. Put the key into the door, turn it left and right until you can almost hear the little latch move back into place. Then push the button and pull the door open. Sometimes I have to work mine from the inside to get it goin'. Move the little switch back and fourth.

Found that if you spill some WD-40 into the lock it helps it out for a while.

If you get it open and open up your door, post some pictures here and let me know the step by step. I'll prolly end up doin' it to mine as well.

Those door locks suck.
Sairys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2006, 07:59 AM   #3
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

im gonna go out now and try to disassemble it. Thanks for the WD40 idea.

White '94 YJ Sport

Unread 05-20-2006, 08:57 AM   #4
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

After an hour of tinkering, I found the problem. Rust and corrosion easily contaminates the locking mechanism inside the door. When the door is locked, and you press the button/pull the handle, the moving part that pulls the latch gets stuck. This is because of all the rust.

What you have to do is disassemble the door. When you pull on the metal arm for the handle, you see a small piece that rotates down near the lock. Where that piece hits, is a little piece of metal on the underside of the mechanism. If your door locks are stuck, pull this piece of metal down, which will free the button/lever. Now you will be able to actuate the locks.

To prevent this from happening, you must keep your locks healthy. And the keep anything healthy, I mean excersise!

*NOTE* DO NOT REASSEMBLE YOUR DOOR UNTIL IT IS FULLY WORKING**
This means you are able to push the button on the door with it locked, and still be able to unlock it afterwards.

With the door unlocked, push the button and pull the lever as many times as you possibly can. After you have done that, lock the door, and push the button and pull the lever a few times. Now try to unlock the door. If done correctly it should unlock the door just fine.

Use your door locks often, and use the handles as well. This wil keep your locks from sticking.

I would have had pictures, but its impossible to get any as the mechanism is inside the door.

White '94 YJ Sport

Unread 05-20-2006, 10:25 AM   #5
Sairys
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Let me know if it comes back in a few weeks time. The WD40 deal worked and any combination of button pushing worked for a while. I think i'm about due for another session with that stuff. I had a hard time gettin' out of 'er the other day.
Sairys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.