Door Locks and Power Windows in 1989 Laredo -
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Door Locks and Power Windows in 1989 Laredo

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Black Friday is coming...Sign up for our Newsletter NOW!!!

Unread 10-18-2015, 09:10 PM   #1
Door Locks and Power Windows in 1989 Laredo

I have read lots of similar threads, but haven't found my issue. I have a 1989 Grand Jeep Cherokee Laredo

I read that the window guides need to be lubed up to fix slow power window opening. I used silicone spray lube and got all windows working great, but then my front passenger window got stuck down. I unplugged the motor power connector and found I had 12 volts when I pressed the switch. So I ordered a new motor/regulator assembly. I bought one with a connector right on the motor, Dorman 741-539 Jeep Front Passenger Side Window Regulator with Motor, knowing I have to modify the stock inline connector wiring to extend the wires to the motor. It cost half as much as other options. Amazon says it fits my vehicle.

But once it arrived, I started by double-checking the problem and had no voltage on the motor connector now when I press the switch. I unplugged the large epoxy sealed connector on the back of the switch and found I had no voltage going to the switch.

I found a fuse block diagram and saw that there is just a single pole relay there for the power windows. I unplugged it and confirmed none of the windows would go down.

I'm thinking there must be another fuse somewhere I blew by poking around with my multimeter. If so, where is it?

Just as I was giving up, I found that the switch for the power door lock wasn't working either. So that is a clue, but does anyone know the solution?

I have read all about the grounding issues, but this seems more like a fuse issue.

Thank you in advance!

johnsal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2015, 12:28 PM   #2
Another possibility I just thought of: There has been a little bit of rain that has gotten into the open window. Could that have caused there to now be no power to the window switch on the front passenger door - or for the automatic door lock from the driver door to have stopped working?
johnsal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.