Dome light won't go off. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Dome light won't go off.

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-03-2007, 06:12 PM   #1
upcountry

Dome light won't go off.

my dad had a 98 cherokee and the dome lights stay on constently no matter what. We had to remove the bulbs to keep from running the battery down over night.
Checked fuses and switches.
Any other ideas??

upcountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2007, 06:42 PM   #2
XJ Rob

Slam the rear gate. Mine does this often. If that doesn't work, I don't know.
90 XJ 4x4, 4.0, 4dr, random scatches and dents, R.E. 3.5 lift with fenders trimmed 2", 31x10.5 Maxxis Bighorns, and some other home-brewed tweeks, and here are some pics [url]http://new.photos.yahoo.com/d5string/album/576460762392129763[/url]

99 XJ 4x4, 4.0, 4dr. (hers)
Stock to the extreme
XJ Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2007, 07:00 PM   #3
upcountry

I had tought about that. Would the dash show that there is a door ajar if that were the case?
upcountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2007, 07:06 PM   #4
bcrmartin
2012 JK Wrangler 

na

mines a 99, and it never says anything about any doors ajar.

worst case scenario..... find the fuse and wire another switch. should only take about 20 min.
bcrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2007, 10:02 PM   #5
Atari.fan3000
1998 XJ Cherokee 

turn the head light knob all the way to right(i think) if you have it turned all the way left until it click's it keeps the dome light on (this knob also adjusts how bright your gauges are.)
C 4X4 front tow hooks; Rear Hatch Speakers; Painted Fenders Flares; herculined floor; Back-Up lights inside bumper
My car Domain Page
Atari.fan3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2007, 10:04 PM   #6
bcrmartin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari.fan3000
turn the head light knob all the way to right(i think) if you have it turned all the way left until it click's it keeps the dome light on (this knob also adjusts how bright your gauges are.)

That is true....i forgot to mention that
bcrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2007, 10:05 PM   #7
Atari.fan3000
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrmartin
That is true....i forgot to mention that
Yeah the first day i got my XJ it took me like 10 mins to find out why my dome light would not go out.
C 4X4 front tow hooks; Rear Hatch Speakers; Painted Fenders Flares; herculined floor; Back-Up lights inside bumper
My car Domain Page
Atari.fan3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2007, 10:05 PM   #8
severous01

or....ground the door switches. see which throws the switch into off and tie in a permanent ground.

or just pull the bulb out...i dont use mine any way. if i need light i ahve a pen light in the console.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2007, 10:10 AM   #9
Mike Davis
2008 JK Wrangler 

dome light

The dome light, lift area and foot area lights all work together. The lift area light alone can be turned on and off on the light itself when a door or lift gate opens. One very important thing to remember, all the lights have 12 volts wired to them. All door switches and the dash light dimmer ground the lights. If you have a bad switch or a shorted ground wire the lights will remain on. Each switch can be removed (unscrewed) and eliminated one-by-one until the light goes off. Just remember, when you remove the switch body you'll lose the ground that the switch gets from the door frame. I'd open one door at a time (not the hatch yet) remove that switch if the light goes out, that switch is the problem. If after doing all of the doors the light remains on, try the hatch switch. I'm not sure where it is. The dash light dimmer switch that turns on the interior lights might be defective. As a last resort you may have a pinched wire in the cable that runs from each door into the door frame through the big grommet. That would be a MAJOR pita especially if you have power windows and locks. Eliminate the easy stuff first. Let us know how you make out. Mike
Mike Davis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2007, 11:33 AM   #10
clmanaa
1992 ZJ 

Does'nt the dome light have an off delay. If so then where is the delay module ?
clmanaa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2007, 02:37 PM   #11
jeep crazy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari.fan3000
Yeah the first day i got my XJ it took me like 10 mins to find out why my dome light would not go out.

same here, pulled all my bulbs and then figured it out later
jeep crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2007, 02:45 PM   #12
paulmatyn

1992 XJ Cherokee 

i am having this problem. mines a 92, and i dont think that the hatch has a switch attached to it, and the dome light fuse and the radio are connected somehow. even though the tadio has its own fuse. for now i just disconnected the connector right at the dome light. but what else can i do. what would cause a door switch to go bad?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysEdition04 View Post
After reading 7-8 of your posts I've come to the conclusion that you may be mentally retarded, which is why I won't ask what "brain guts" are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Dodgers View Post
I'd rather take the chance and belive in God than take the chance and not.
Cuz ya got nothing to lose by believing, but ya sure might if ya don't.
White Jeep Club Member-2027
paulmatyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2007, 10:23 AM   #13
clmanaa
1992 ZJ 

I found the rear hatch dome light switch attached to the hatch latch in the interior of the hatch. It is activated by the latch itself. It was sticking. I sprayed a little WD40 in the assmy. and haven't had a problem since.
clmanaa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2009, 10:52 PM   #14
oregonjeep

Nice i just started having this problem after doing some wheeling. It was freaking me out cause we were on the main road after dark and didn't want to get pulled over

I'll give that a try!
oregonjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2010, 10:47 AM   #15
ccavin

I went out this morning to find my '98 Cherokee was dead. Once I hooked up the battery charger I noticed that the dome lights were doing the same thing as the original poster's lights (i.e. wouldn't turn off). I tried every fuse in the passenger footwell to no avail and I pulled the Battery ACC fuse under the hood and the footwell light was still on. I ended up removing the footwell bulbs and disconnecting the dome and hatch lights.

How do you remove the door switches? Do they simply unscrew?

I'll also try the hatch mechanism this evening, but I doubt it's the cause since I haven't opened it in weeks before this morning after the problem surfaced.
ccavin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.