Doin' My First Brake Job. Can I keep these rotors? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Doin' My First Brake Job. Can I keep these rotors?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
cavalier

Doin' My First Brake Job. Can I keep these rotors?

So at speeds above 60 mph, if I hit the brakes, I get wheel shudder. This ain't optimal, so I took my wheels off. By the looks of em, the rotors look okay. What ya'll think? The vents (between the two surfaces) look pretty rusty, however. Thoughts?

wp_20130516_006.jpg  
cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
its840
1994 XJ Cherokee 

take them to autozone, advanced auto,oreilly or napa.. and ask them to turn them.. if they under spec they will let ya know.. should only charge about 10$ each rotor to turn..
when you replace pads you always want to turn or replace rotors at same time.
enjoy.
its840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
RedRyderXJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by its840
take them to autozone, advanced auto,oreilly or napa.. and ask them to turn them.. if they under spec they will let ya know.. should only charge about 10$ each rotor to turn..
enjoy.
Yes. You need I have them turned when replacing the brakes
RedRyderXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 05:27 AM   #4
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by its840 View Post
enjoy.
Its actually hard around here to find a place that will turn rotors, and it wasnt $10 last time I found a place to do it. More like $30 a wheel. (pep boys)
Unread 05-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalier View Post
So at speeds above 60 mph, if I hit the brakes, I get wheel shudder. This ain't optimal, so I took my wheels off. By the looks of em, the rotors look okay. What ya'll think? The vents (between the two surfaces) look pretty rusty, however. Thoughts?
The rotor face looks good in the picture. HOWEVER....rotor FLATNESS is what will determine if you continue to have brake shudder. That can be checked by two ways:
1. using a runout guage on the vehicle
2. taking the rotors to a machine shop and asking them if they can be turned flat within spec.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #6
greenlawnjeeper
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
Its actually hard around here to find a place that will turn rotors, and it wasnt $10 last time I found a place to do it. More like $30 a wheel. (pep boys)
I gave up having rotors "turned" years ago and decided to put the $$$ toward new ones - which really aren't that much considering the importance of brakes.
'96 Cherokee Country, Magnaflow cat and Borla exhaust, Hella 550's, Up Country suspension, Michelin MS 2's in 235x15 and Edelbrock IAS shocks. 91K orig. miles - the wife uses it ('cept when I borrow it to go huntin').
greenlawnjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.