Does code 14 (MAP sensor) match the problems Im having? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Does code 14 (MAP sensor) match the problems Im having?

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesThe Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!

Unread 04-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
Gutz88
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Does code 14 (MAP sensor) match the problems Im having?

This is my first Jeep. 97 Cherokee Sport with 150,000 miles. I got it as something to fix up. Wasn’t running when I bought it. It was missing the following parts I put in. But in new fuel pump, fuel filter, alternator, starter, spark plugs-wires-cap-rotor, radiator, thermostat, intake manifold, throttle body, battery and tires. It runs now put having issues. When I start it idles high 2500-3000 for 20 seconds or so then drops down to around 1000, it’s hard to start I have to give it gas while starting, exhaust smells strong, hesitates when I accelerate, sometimes it stalls while idling (but rarely stalls after a couple minutes of running) . BUT when I get to about 40+ mph it runs dam good as long as I don’t accelerate hard! Code 14 shows up (MAP sensor). SO does all that happen when a MAP sensor is bad?? Ive spent a lot of money already so just want to see what’s the issue before I spend more.

OH, sorry forgot one. My catalytic converter is also bad. I bought a new one just haven’t had the time to put it on.

THANKS

Last edited by Gutz88; 04-04-2012 at 10:33 PM..
Gutz88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #2
robsjeepxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I would tend to believe the code is correct, replace anything indicated first then if nothing changes I'd say unbolt the cat and see if that helps.
robsjeepxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2012, 11:14 PM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Your Cherokee has OBD-II self diagnostics, you should use it. Download the four digit Pxxxx Check Engine Light trouble codes with a code reading device and either do a Google search or post them here. OBD-II trouble codes are much more specific about the problem and make your troubleshooting easier.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
Gutz88
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Well I just ordered a MAP sensor and an OBD-II code reader off ebay... Hope its just the MAP cause it was cheap.. Thanks
Unread 04-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #5
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

YES. MAP sensor is one of the primary suspects for eratic idle. And if throws a code for it then it pretty much narrows it down. But it doesn't necessarily means it's bad. First check your vac hose going to the MAP, it may be cracked or simply disconnected.
Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 11:31 PM   #6
Gutz88
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Yea just check the vac hose, its good. I didn’t even try this before but I just unplugged the MAP and the dam thing started right up.. It ran rich but it started! Plugged it back up and doesn’t start unless I give it gas.. Well new MAP will be in soon. Ill post the results of the new map when I get it.. Thanks

Its weird cause the MAP sensor in there now looks dam new..
Unread 04-07-2012, 04:56 AM   #7
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutz88 View Post
Well I just ordered a MAP sensor and an OBD-II code reader off ebay... Hope its just the MAP cause it was cheap.. Thanks
Beware of any and all engine management sensors from ebay UNLESS the brand name is confirmed.

There are a ton of cheap-charly sensors available on ebay; some work for a while then puke out, some don't even work out of the box.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 05:45 AM   #8
robsjeepxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Dealer sensors will definitely be a much safer bet.
robsjeepxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 06:17 AM   #9
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsjeepxj View Post
Dealer sensors will definitely be a much safer bet.
Agreed. I buy plenty of aftermarket parts. Engine management sensors aren't on that list.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #10
Gutz88
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Ok installed the new map sensor oday and still having issues... I have to give it alot of gas to start... But it doesnt idle as high now tho and when i get up to about 25mph it drives great.. I guess its something else too.. I think i should look at the TB tomorrow... Maybe i installed it wrong???
Unread 04-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #11
Gutz88
1997 XJ Cherokee 

The way im going this whole Jeep is gonna be new by time im done and broke!
Unread 04-10-2012, 12:13 AM   #12
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutz88 View Post
The way im going this whole Jeep is gonna be new by time im done and broke!
Could be a bad part, as TJ said, lots of aftermarket junk out there. And your chances of getting one of those... pretty good.

If you don't want to spend the money on a quality OEM part, go to the junkyard, nowadays you're more likely to get a sensor in operating condition there than with aftermarket parts. And for what they cost at the jy, pull two of them from two different Jeeps to double your chances.

Now there is also a procedure to test the MAP if you have a voltmeter.
Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 10:12 PM   #13
Gutz88
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Found IT!!!!

Unread 04-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #14
Gutz88
1997 XJ Cherokee 

dam pics wont show
Unread 04-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #15
Gutz88
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Tags
idling , MAP sensor

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.