Does 1989 cherokee xj have a fuel pump fuse? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Does 1989 cherokee xj have a fuel pump fuse?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 09-10-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
bigislandhikers
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Does 1989 cherokee xj have a fuel pump fuse?

Relay seems to be ok. While changing filter verified that the pump doesn't work. Before changing out the pump I want to make sure there are no fuses that could be bad.

Thanks

bigislandhikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2010, 08:08 PM   #2
CKUPQ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

sounds like your ballast resistor died. I can't remember where its at but its a little chunk of porcelain on the fender that is inline with the relay.
CKUPQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
bigislandhikers
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Would the ballist resister effect the fuel pump? Isn't the pump 12v?

Mine is cracked, but it has been since I bought the jeep. Wasn't sure what it was for.

Thanks
BIH
Unread 09-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #4
CKUPQ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The ballast resistor is in-line with the pump. Its sole reason is to keep the pump "quieter". If you by-pass it you'll actually be doing yourself a favor because the pump will then be seeing 12V instead of 10 or 11V

Cliff notes: Remove it, it won't hurt your pump.
CKUPQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2010, 03:01 PM   #5
bigislandhikers
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I have the old pump out. Can I hook it up to the battery to see it it works before I install the new one. If so which wire on the pump goes to positive and negative.

Thanks
BIH
Unread 09-11-2010, 03:30 PM   #6
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

You can, but remember what sparks and gasoline can do when combined. Check your ballast resistor for continuity while you're at it.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 12:20 AM   #7
compfreak530
1988 XJ Cherokee 

The ballast resistor is bypassed during first ignition.. so if the pump isnt comming on even during cranking its probly a bad pump. with the pump in hand just apply power to the two terminals. try both ways. wont hurt. if pump dosent come on then its bad. the ballast resistor is there to prolong the life of the pump by lowering the voltage to it. it dosent need to be at full power to supply more then enough juice to the engine.
compfreak530 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.