Do you think these lights are causing road noise? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Do you think these lights are causing road noise?

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-01-2007, 02:37 PM   #1
Igofaster13

Do you think these lights are causing road noise?

I am getting a slight road/bearing noise from the rear end only when I tow my boat. It kinda started after either installing these lights to my bumper (for Night boat launching) or off-roading a little bit. Since the noise I have changed out the gear oil (no metal shavings), Rear brake shoes, And greased the U-Joints. Could it be these lights attached to my bumper?

Unread 02-01-2007, 02:39 PM   #2
Arcticcat843
dakuda is a god

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igofaster13
I am getting a slight road/bearing noise from the rear end only when I tow my boat. It kinda started after either installing these lights to my bumper (for Night boat launching) or off-roading a little bit. Since the noise I have changed out the gear oil (no metal shavings), Rear brake shoes, And greased the U-Joints. Could it be these lights attached to my bumper?

click free

I dont think so, but take them off anf see if it is still there.

BTW nice wiring and fab work
Arcticcat843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2007, 02:45 PM   #3
rayjay
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I'm sorry...but

::singing:: In the Ghetto ::/singing::

personally I would take them off or redo them alltogether
Colorado Jeep Club Member #213

CARS:
1979 Honda Civic CVCC - 213k
1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo - 330k
1995 Honda Accord EX w/ H22 Swap - 305k

***Yes I am a girl, but my husband uses this too.***
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2007, 02:48 PM   #4
trailblaze
2004 WJ 

wow... haha...nice work...ahhh

back to the question, i dout it unless your driving in reverse at highway speeds?
Unread 02-01-2007, 02:49 PM   #5
Igofaster13

Ya, I plan on cleaning up the wiring, I concentrated on the interior/light switch when I installed them trying to get it ready for a quick night fishing trip. Its my beater/tow vehicle. I allready bought a D35 rebuild kit, Just trying to see if I am overlooking somthing before I spend $$$$ on the rebuild.
Unread 02-01-2007, 02:57 PM   #6
Thayer

Better description of the noise? Must be loud if you can hear it over the chains jangling, the ball hitch adapter thumping due to the slop, the pad lock bouncing around, the loose wires flapping in the wind, etc.
[SIZE=1]1997 Cherokee Sport NAXJA #1255
RK 4.5" LA Kit
[/SIZE]
Thayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2007, 03:06 PM   #7
Igofaster13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayer
Better description of the noise? Must be loud if you can hear it over the chains jangling, the ball hitch adapter thumping due to the slop, the pad lock bouncing around, the loose wires flapping in the wind, etc.
The chains are not dragging, the chains are crossed for saftey if the trailer detaches from the ball the chains will catch it. And what Slop? Its a "2 ball and class 3 hitch all done by U-haul, and the trailer has a "2 ball reciever. The wires dont drag at all, I have checked all that.

The noise is a slight grinding sssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhcccccccccccccc noise, not very loud. It sounds like a wheel bearing or axle bearing going out. I have been towing this setup for more then a year, And I just started to notice this noise.

Last edited by Igofaster13; 02-01-2007 at 03:33 PM..
Igofaster13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2007, 04:08 PM   #8
Igofaster13

Here they are all lined up, the real money goes into the 5.0
Unread 02-01-2007, 04:29 PM   #9
Arcticcat843
dakuda is a god

1980 CJ5 

Quote:

Here they are all lined up, the real money goes into the 5.0
Dont you just hate to CLICK
Arcticcat843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2007, 04:32 PM   #10
JohnnyX
1999 XJ Cherokee 

thats pretty much the best fab work ive ever seen in my entire life.
North Jersey Jeep Club Member- #83
www.northjerseyjeepclub.org
the rig:
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/8980/jeep2xq0.jpg
CHECK OUT MY BAND- www.myspace.com/myrtleave
JohnnyX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2007, 04:37 PM   #11
JohnnyX
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
oh nice, you have 2 boats.
lucky

North Jersey Jeep Club Member- #83
www.northjerseyjeepclub.org
the rig:
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/8980/jeep2xq0.jpg
CHECK OUT MY BAND- www.myspace.com/myrtleave
JohnnyX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2007, 04:41 PM   #12
Igofaster13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyX
thats pretty much the best fab work ive ever seen in my entire life.

Hey, at least I used galvinized bolts and did the interior wiring job right. I will repiar the back light wiring job. As you can all see the jeep is a BEATER!
Unread 02-01-2007, 04:42 PM   #13
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Nice LX!

I'd cut the holes bigger and recess the lights behind the bumper. That way the wires are hidden and will cut down on any road noise from those.

Did the noise start after the hitch and towing. I'd check the axle wheel bearings.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2007, 04:49 PM   #14
Igofaster13

Quote:
Originally Posted by balloo93
Nice LX!

I'd cut the holes bigger and recess the lights behind the bumper. That way the wires are hidden and will cut down on any road noise from those.

Did the noise start after the hitch and towing. I'd check the axle wheel bearings.

Thanks, Sounds like a good idea, no I have been towing for a year with this same setup, I heard the noise after I off-roaded one night not that hard, and installing those lights.

Like I said I am probley going to get every bearing replaced in the rear end. I allready got the rebuild kit, And I know a Jeep mechanic who does gears for $150 installed.
Unread 02-01-2007, 04:58 PM   #15
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Thanks, Sounds like a good idea, no I have been towing for a year with this same setup, I heard the noise after I off-roaded one night not that hard, and installing those lights.

Like I said I am probley going to get every bearing replaced in the rear end. I allready got the rebuild kit, And I know a Jeep mechanic who does gears for $150 installed.

Whaaaaaaaaaaat!? Gears for $150???? Do you have to buy him dinner and say sweet things to him or something?

Sounds like a plan, keep us posted.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.